Interested in buying a '74 - would like feedback.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am looking at purchasing a 1974 2002. I am a little odd because I actually like the square tail lights although the bumpers are a little large.

I've read some conflicting information. One source indicated that '74 wasn't a great choice because of the emmissions, another said '74 was OK because the pollution control was limited to EGR - no pump, no thermal reactor, etc.

I'm interested in different opinions from the board. Any help appreciated. Hope to be an '02er shortly.

Guest Anonymous

2002.jpg

I love my 1974! It's Verona Red 4 speed w/ sunroof, and in very nice shape. Mine did not have the airpump,the thermal reactors etc., so there is less clutter under the hood. The key seems to be finding one with as good a body as possible, as rust is an issue w/ 2002s. What can you tell us about the one you're looking at ?

Jerry

1974 2002 Verona

Guest Anonymous

IMHO, '74 was a good year.Most of the systems that changed over the years, such as brakes, sway bars, transmission synchros, short neck differential style, radiator fan, fuse block, etc., are about as modern as the 2002 ever got. The '74-up slotted steel wheels are wider than the older steel wheels, and they look just fine. Sure, the bumpers are a bit goofy, but they don't rot out, and they're tough in parking lot situations. Of course, nothing helps much when you get rear ended by a Suburban.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Greg,

Don't let the year be an issue, just take someone with you that knows these cars and look it over carefully, take her for a good drive, all the usuals. I've had roundies and squares; currently own my 3rd '74 2002, bought from the original owner, beautiful car that was very well cared for., the big bumpers don't bother me at all, the car gets great compliments just about daily., just take someone with you and look her over really well and enjoy the drive., these cars are a blast to drive,

Tim

'74 2002

'69 2000

Guest Anonymous

I can tell you for sure that if you're in California they are smog exempt now, since my car didn't require one this year.

Guest Anonymous

74 is my favorite 02, I have a 02 and a tii now both 74s as stated below the smog system is simple the wiring is well sorted the only unusual thing is the seatbelt interlock and it is easy to bypass, I say go for it....Marty...

Guest Anonymous

there is some info, McCarthy I think, maybe others that say 75 is a "bad" year for various reasons, rumors that the engine builders, lined up all the ring gaps, pollution control headaches, but 76 is a "good" year. GO FOR IT, .

Guest Anonymous

.....the worst of both worlds:). Kidding-I think they are unique and therefore cool. Ditch the big bumpers for some nice chrome one's and you'll have a very sweet ride.