dellorto

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

well i have a choice between these, solexs, or webers. i am thinking these because of the prive. i am curious to know if parts are as abundant for these as they are for webers. and performance wise how they compare. thanks!

Guest Anonymous

All of my weber and solex experience comes from VW's. I never ran dual solexes except on a type III and they were ok for small stock carbs, but I didn't hot rod them any or tune the car to its potential.

The dellortos are considered a much nicer carb than webers according to most folks who aren't trying to sell you webers.

They are simple to rebuild/tune, however parts are not anywhere near as redily avail. as webers, who knows why? I've rebuilt weber carbs and been left thinking "what a pita", while rebuilding the dells left me thinking "well that makes sense".

You can look at www.cbperformance.com as one place to source parts they have most all of the "tuning" parts, and there's always ebay of course (plus I'm building up a stash).

I'm very happy with mine overall. If I had to do it again I'd still choose the dells.

Guest Anonymous

my friend has a 71 240z and i have a 72 bimmer, and we saw this deal on ebay, it was like 6 dellortos ready to put on for $279. so we were thinkin split the price up and buy them. i am building up and engine for my 02 right now so i want to know what yout think about this. i will have 292 cam, mildly ported head, .25 over mahle flattop pistons, and hopefully a header if i can manage it. all i have right now is a 32/36. so these carbs looked like a good deal. i feel like i will be undercarbed with the weber so i need an upgrade. but i dont know. maybe you could help point me in the right direction? thanks man.

Guest Anonymous

He is from Italy, if so, he's a pita. I got 8 from him in "excellent", "ready to run" condition. what a crock of shit. I spent 8 hours cleaning and rebuilding 2 of them. The rebuilding took approx 1.5-2hrs while cleaning the "excellent" carbs took about 6 hours. They were flat out gross and there is no way possible that they would run as is. I brought this up to him and he wouldn't do anything about it at all. The carbs he sells are also off of Alfas and need to be modified ie. jets, emulsion tubes, venturies, etc to run on our cars. I'm currently running the biggest combination of parts out of all of the 8 I have and am about to order some more tuning parts this week so I can get em in right.

Anyway, before buying them from ANYBODY, ask:

What size venturis, main jets, idle jets, air correction jets, emulsion tubes, pump jets, and if they come with any velocity stacks (you have to run at least 1.5" ones) or linkage parts ie balance bars(which were also missing on mine)

The Dellorto Superformance Tech Book from CBPerformance is a MUST have. It's written mostly for VW's, but is invaluable for choosing sizes of all of the above as well as fine tuning your carbs.

Hope it helps alittle. If you are wanting a pair of carbs I'll sell you a pair of mine, but they need to be rebuilt (got my rebuild kits from Ebay a German guy who regularly lists them) and they will run on your car, but you'll need to get more tuning parts from CBP to make them how you want them. Lemme know,

Britt

Guest Anonymous

jet sizes, etc?? I've got a set sitting on the shelf that I'm gonna install soon, but I'd like to know what works.

Thanks, Bret.

Guest Anonymous

I'm currently set up with:

32mm venturis

148 main jets (too rich, i'm switchin tomorrow to 140s)

180 air correction

58 idle jets

This setting does run in the car, but theres lots more tuning left.

What I'd like to run:

36mm venturis

148 main jets

200 air correction

60(or 62)idle jets

The above is for a stockish 2.0 if you have any wild stuff, it goes on up from there.

Guest Anonymous

hey dude ya i would totally be interested, how much would you want for a pair? let me know and i will see what i can get cash wise. im kinda in a pinch right now so we'll have to see. thanks!

Guest Anonymous

dell'orto's are good as long as you have the proper jets and chokes and the accel pump diaphragm gaskets don't leak. if the throttle linkages are missing, that can be a pain, but i have fabricated a few and bought some from the lotus parts guy in ca. i have a weber jet drill set(works on all carbs and is nla) if the jets need to be enlargedand i just bore out chokes/venturies as it is cheaper than buying new chokes/venturies.

i have installed, serviced, rebuilt and tuned a lot of side draft/down draft carbs over the past 25 years. weber, mikuni, dell'orto, solex germany, solex italy, sk (weber/mikuni hybrid) of different sizes 36-55mm, no su's or zeniths for me. i'd say they all work good if properly tuned. weber would be the choice as parts and carb selection are plentiful. mikunis are good as they stay in tune for years, but parts are getting harder to find especially rebuild kits for the 44 and 50 phh's. solex italy is very good as it is a newer design (late 70's and late 80's),came in 40,45,48 and 50mm and is the lightest of them all parts are readily available from europe. the early german solex phh are a pain as they tend to have air leaks once the throttle bushings wore out, and throttle shaft is two piece compared to other brands, so this you also have to adjust and synchronize. the later german solex ddh's and ddht's are very good too, parts are still available and a lot of german tuners used them too (alpina, gs, irmscher,etc..).

tuning carbs is an art and ther are not too many guys out there who still do this. we carb tuners are a vanishing breed.

Guest Anonymous

dell'orto's are good as long as you have the proper jets and chokes and the accel pump diaphragm gaskets don't leak. if the throttle linkages are missing, that can be a pain, but i have fabricated a few and bought some from the lotus parts guy in ca. i have a weber jet drill set(works on all carbs and is nla) if the jets need to be enlargedand i just bore out chokes/venturies as it is cheaper than buying new chokes/venturies.

i have installed, serviced, rebuilt and tuned a lot of side draft/down draft carbs over the past 25 years. weber, mikuni, dell'orto, solex germany, solex italy, sk (weber/mikuni hybrid) of different sizes 36-55mm, no su's or zeniths for me. i'd say they all work good if properly tuned. weber would be the choice as parts and carb selection are plentiful. mikunis are good as they stay in tune for years, but parts are getting harder to find especially rebuild kits for the 44 and 50 phh's. solex italy is very good as it is a newer design (late 70's and late 80's),came in 40,45,48 and 50mm and is the lightest of them all parts are readily available from europe. the early german solex phh are a pain as they tend to have air leaks once the throttle bushings wore out, and throttle shaft is two piece compared to other brands, so this you also have to adjust and synchronize. the later german solex ddh's and ddht's are very good too, parts are still available and a lot of german tuners used them too (alpina, gs, irmscher,etc..).

tuning carbs is an art and ther are not too many guys out there who still do this. we carb tuners are a vanishing breed.