Sign in to follow this  
Chamonix72

Need your gas tank refurbished? I have the guys!

8 posts / 4478 viewsLast Reply

Federal Way Radiator. I gave them a rusty, sorry looking tank that had some old gas of unknown vintage inside. They returned this to me:

IMG_0033.jpg

Sealed inside and out; boiled out and pressure tested. All for under $300, which is cheaper than new.

Dave, I gotta ask whats up with the brush strokes? did they brush some undercoating on it or somethin? Show us some pics of the inside cause that looks kinda terrible....

Dave, I gotta ask whats up with the brush strokes? Show us some pics of the inside cause that looks kinda terrible....

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking that.

I guess it's an undercoating. Or a top coat for the sealant. The sealant is red on the inside of the tank. And honestly who cares what it looks like? It was rusty on the outside when I dropped it off. It looks a million times better now. I am probably going to undercoat the bottom again, but I'm happy with it overall.

But I'll try to snap a picture of the inside tonight.

Haters. ;)

I couldn't get any good pictures of the inside. But essentially it's an epoxy gel coating.

And I'm still flummoxed over aesthetic arguments regarding a piece for which aesthetics don't matter. At least they don't to me. But whatever. My original tank has brush marks on it. I never paid them a second look.

But, if you NEED your tank refurbished, and I did, then this is a decent option. It's cheaper than new, and it's epoxy-sealed inside and out against further corrosion. The turn around time was less than a week, and the cost was less than I was originally quoted.

Damn...300! I did mine myself for under $20 and looks way better then that....Just giving you a hard time;-)

Well, I wasn't sure the tank was leak-free, since it was unknown to me. It was $25-150 to boil it out, and once it's boiled out and acid-bathed to get rid of the rust, you need to seal it immediately or it will rust again. If it just needed to be boiled out, I would have sealed it myself.

I could have tried it myself, but if the tank was leaky, it would have been for nothing.

You did it right as long as you got some kind of warranty on the workmanship. . The DIY kits will last a couple years, then start to appear in your fuel

filter. Best bet is to put nothing in your gas tank except gasoline. If your tank doesn't leak yet, just drain it dry once every year to clear the H2O.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.