Jumpy Speedo gauge, what is the fix?(nt)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

searching on the Faq, I found a recomendation to

use 'Liquid Graphite Lubricator' anyone ever used

this to good effect.

TIA

Dan

Guest Anonymous

I was trying couple of different guage clusters about two weeks ago. Before all this, the original one on the car was working fine, I just needed to test the rest. No jiggling or anything like that. After testing 4 or five of them when I put the original back on, the speedo started jiggiling when it is aound 25-35 mph. It goes to tell you that the way the speedo is put (screw tied) in is wrong or it needs lubing. There is nothing wrong with electrical or any other thing. Try putting back the speedo with patience and do it the right way. I was too lazt to unhook it back and do it the right way.

LOL

Guest Anonymous

You might have some luck checking some wiring related things (if you haven't already), including fuses (make sure there's no corrosion around where the metal prong contacts the fuse) and wiring around points/condensor at the distributor. Sometimes you can fix jumpy gauges by cleaning the contact points at the back of the gauge cluster and adding another ground wire from the back of the cluster to the metal bodyshell behind the cluster.

The tach on my old '75 would be dead on any morning when it was below 40 degrees but would come back to life after a few miles of driving. I figure a loose wire or connection would experience contraction when cold and thus lose contact...but when it heated up again it expanded enough to make the circuit. Moral: check the wiring. ;-)

Tim

'76 2002