Original radio speaker - where?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've recently purchased a period correct Blaupunkt radio. Its a mono and I'm wondering where the speaker goes. Is it directly under the radio? I could attach two speakers but I really don't want to cut holes in the door panels.

thanks

Guest Anonymous

Correct, the "stock" location for the radio speaker mounted just below the radio in a sort of grill. Other than cutting out the door panels *cringe*, you COULD mount two speakers on the rear dash by either cutting out holes or just placing them on top.

Cheers,

Philip H.

Guest Anonymous

speaker location varied. DO NOT cut your door panels; there are much better places. Lots were mounted as you describe, directly below the radio. However, the Blaupunkt mounting kit positioned the speaker so that it covered the entire storage area in the console--a real waste of space. Since it's a mono radio, you can mount a single speaker in the console, but positioned to the front of the console so you'll retain storage space. My '73 came with a single 4 inch speaker mounted in the right side underdash cardboard (to the right of the glovebox) 'cause the car has A/C. I added a second speaker to the cardboard panel on the extreme left side--easy to do--just cut a hole in the cardboard; it's sturdy enough to support the speaker.

Or you can mount surface mount speakers on the lower cowl sides (carpeted area on each side just forward of the doors) without having to make visible holes in anything.

Another option is to mount a 4x6 or 6x9 surface mount speaker on the rear package shelf. Fasten with Velcro and you won't have to cut the shelf itself.

Lotsa options, and all are "authentic."

Cheers & good luck

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Don't ruin your good door panels as so many PO's have. Also, if you cut holes in the rear window shelf, you add ventilation holes from the trunk to the cabin, increasing the dust, gasoline fume, and exhaust fume flow into the cabin area (assuming your trunk is not airtight).

Guest Anonymous

Post it and I'm sure you will find someone willing to trade their cut panels and maybe even pay for both sides of shipping.