Battery Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi I bought a battery 3/23/03 for my car. I had not driven the car since then and went to start it yesterday. Battery was dead. Car is stored inside a garage and temperatures here in Phila have not been cold since then, >40-50 degrees. Is this normal? Battery was new. Should is lose charge in about two months? Thanks.

nf

'90 535i

'73 2002 (battery issues)

'73 2002Tii

Guest Anonymous

Hey Neal, no, it should not be dead. Chack to make sure there is not something on that is draining the battery. Pull the negative battery cable, put a test light from the neg cable to the neg batt post. with the doors shut, and everything off, the light should not light. If it is lit, then something is stuck on and drawing current. Pull fuses one at a time to determine where the problem may lie.

Otherwise, it may be a defective battery.

Good luck!

Neil

Guest Anonymous

Just checking the book on Ohms law. Resistance= Volts/amps. Are our temp sensors reverse acting, so that as temp increase resistance decreases? I'd sure like to get straight on this once and for all as to these relationships, because hat hi temp gauge can sure take the pleasure out of a nice drive.

Guest Anonymous

One sure way to hurt a battery is to store it when it is not fully charged. What happens is the battery loses some abiltiy to recover its full capacity when recharged.

Batteries do gradually self-discharge on their own, and they do it quicker when it is warm. At temps above 120 F, a stored battery can go dead in a month.

It's more common to notice the effect of cold temps, which cause the battery's chemical activity to slow & reduces output, but that's a different condition than self-discharge.

Most batteries have a manufacturing date stamped on their case (not the sticker or punched date code which denotes purchase date). How "old" was your new battery before you bought it? Add that time to the two months you had it without use, and that might explain the lack of charge. Keep 'em charged when not in use & they will last a lot longer.

Guest Anonymous

i had a stereo alarm light that when active seemed to draw my battery down quite a bit when parked for a couple weeks. Although it is PITA, I just disconnect battery now when I not use car for more than a week. I also finally bought Optima Red Top battery for the extra amp capacity. Do you have any light/alarm indicators that work when car is parked? I guess you could look up amp draw if you do and calculate loss under optimal storage conditions. Lots of variables though. Good luck on the hunt for the draw-down.///