Why's my car still getting hot??

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Classic symptoms of a poor rad-at steady speeds over 50mph the temperature rises, the faster you go, the faster it rises. It doesn't go quite into the red, and if you slow down to town speeds it's fine, drops right down the the middle and there it stays. Only trouble is, I've already swapped the radiator and it still does it- water pump anyone?

Guest Anonymous

Check belt for tightness--with the engine off, naturally--you shouldn't be able to slide the belt over the pulley by hand.

Do you have the large 5 blade fan? Early cars had a small 4 blader, and it just doesn't push enough air. With a refurbished radiator and a new 'stat, my temp rises about 25 degrees when I slow to idle after a 10 mile run on the interstate. Immediately cools down soon as I start moving again. I may go back to larger fan.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

fresh coolant & a noisy 5 blade fan. The car stood for 5 yrs before I got it last year though. I don't lose any water, maybe the cap is weak?

Guest Anonymous

Andy, I have the same problem you do and drove my car to Dallas yesterday pretty much all the way in red, I repeat all the way to the top of the red. I was driving 75-80 sometimes 70mph. Just like yours the slower I went it would stay around 2 or 2:30 position but this is getting old on my car and you could just park the car and touch the engine (thanks to Danuel for the diagnostic). In my car the problem is with the grounds or voltage because the faster I drive the more electrical signals are coming to the temp. gauge somehow or some sort of electrical malfunction. Also when I turn my head lights on or blinkers the temp gauge dance upwards with them (indication). Last time I took my instrument cluster out to fix the odometer I forgot to ground it when I put it back on. I would suggest next time you drive the car hard and take the temp to red, just drive it straight to a mechanic and and have them do a temp. check to find out if your gauge is giving the proper reading before you change the entire cooling system.

Good luck

Rajesh

Guest Anonymous

battery!!! The battery was replaced, and the temp guage stabilized. So, check your battery and all grounds, these can cause all kinds of problems.

Guest Anonymous

I swapped in another instrumnent cluster when I put it back in the road, but I didn't earth it-and my dial needles bounce happily whenever I indicate, but it has never bothered me. I'll earth it tonight and see. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

gauge, it's almost certainly a ground problem. Make a little harness to connect the brass mounting screws on the back of the temp/fuel gauge unit and ground to the body.

Mike