JUST GOT MY FIRST 02, happens to be a Tii, few newbie Q's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm absolutely stoked, I just got a 1974 tii for and absolute bargain. It is the most fun I have ever had on the road. I think it's only got 112,000 klms on it and it drives really well.

I will be posting some pics once I can borrow a digicam.

There's a few things about it that are of a little concern, and being totally new to 02's and not that handy with cars (yet) I was hoping I could get a lil help;

1) When I turn off the ignition the car sometimes will run for about 2-3 secs and shake quite roughly then finsllly stop. I wouldn't be too worried but there is quite a large amount of engine movement during these 3 secs even though it normally runs nicely.

2) When I go about 60km/hr down the road the speedo reads 90km/hr. How would I fix this??

If you guys could point me in the right direction of things I should check to make sure the car is all ship shape it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

-Nick

Guest Anonymous

1. The idle should be at about 1100 IIRC, at least for '73 tii's. You might try to drop it a little to help with the run-on problem. And use high octane petrol. ...could be carbon build up causing high compression causing the run-on, but probably not. Also could be timing too far advanced. The timing advance curve is important on tii's especially; the advance springs weaken over time. It would be good to get the distributor recurved (eventually?). Otherwise it is hard to get the motor timed properly at various rpm.

2. They all do that*. ;-). Get the speedo rebuilt.

Good luck! I had a tii for 15 years!

Cheers,

Ray

* well, not to that extent!

Guest Anonymous

the haynes manual for one.

and also macartneys book "02 restoration guide" is well worth buying.

let these be your guides young padawan.