High idle problem

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey, so I got my Sidedrafts running, but it idles too high, like 2000-2200. I tried fixing it the tuning way and I just couldn't get it there, so I took one off and held it up to light and I could see a crack of light through the butterflys at full closed. It wasn't a big crack, just small enough I could see a little light. Is this enough to be causing my high idle problem? Is this an easy fix, or do I basicly have to get new carbs?

Is it bad to drive it much when it idles that high?

Thanks,

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

May-8,-2000.jpg?dc=4675416785402130404

URL: http://groups.msn.com/1969BMW2002FORSALE/shoebox.msnw

I don't know for sure about the carb without seeing it, but I wouldn't think it would be a problem. You might want to look at your linkage for the idle problem as well though. If your return spring tension is wrong or any number of things are misadjusted it can cause you problems. If nothing else, someone will post and say what a dumbass I am and you'll get some help that way. Good luck

Guest Anonymous

except mine idled at 5-6000rpm... not good.

1st check for vaccume leaks.

2nd check linkage (run it with linkage disconnected from carbs)

3rd mine ended up being too damn much fuel pressure (it wants 3lbs not 6)

4th but not least, Chris Franz is a dumbass. Just kidding CF! Hope it helps a little, it can be damn frustrating I know.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, so I took off the linkage and ran the car and it is just idling off of the one carb for the 3 & 4 cylinders. The one that isn't idling is the one with the little cracks....so I dunno. Where do I go from here to fix it?

Thanks

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

Only one carb idles the car with the linkage off. The carb with the little space is the one that isn't idling. Where do I go from here??

Thanks,

bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

Ok, yeah so i'm still learning through my mistakes, and yes i'm making a lot. Just realized I had the idle screws closed, now i'll go see how shes doin