• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

13NOV drive anyone?

M3M3

I am going to be on a plane all day... Can't complain since I am going to Puerto Rico to sail a boat back to Florida...

Have Fun!!! I want to smell the rubber burning 5 miles in the sky!

J Swift
Global Formula Racing (Oregon State University)

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

Great day for some driving in Southern Maryland.

Marshall & I started out then were joined by Bill Riblett in his Vette.

IMG_6636.jpg

Across the Potomac you can barely make out the George Washington Parkway

IMG_6638.jpg

IMG_6643.jpg

IMG_6657.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

IMG_6658.jpg

Marshall's short-cut on a dirt road

IMG_6661.jpg

IMG_6660.jpg

Here we are at Fort Washington

IMG_6664.jpg

IMG_6669.jpg

IMG_6672.jpg

One of these cannons could shoot a 700 lb. shot about 9 miles!

IMG_6673.jpg

You can see the Woodrow Wilson Bridge beyond the fort.

IMG_6677.jpg

Some of the Officer's Quarters

IMG_6674.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim and i headed down to Marshall Hall for pics. beautiful day and location. then we met up with bill r at accoteek and drove up to ft washington...the 2002 "old maryland national park" tour. here are some bad pics...

DSCN2372.jpg

DSCN2376.jpg

DSCN2377.jpg

DSCN2381.jpg

DSCN2384.jpg

DSCN2387.jpg

DSCN2390.jpg

DSCN2393.jpg

DSCN2396.jpg

DSCN2397.jpg

DSCN2402.jpg

DSCN2407.jpg

DSCN2406.jpg

found a couple of nice locations for future ISRCG outings....

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...

Made it back to land. Our route ended up being about 1000 miles and we did the journey in 159 hours. We used 28 gallons of diesel, 24 of which were used purely to generate electricity for the boat. After leaving Boqueron, PR we did not use the motor until we entered Port Everglades in Ft. Lauderdale. Better yet, we stayed on the same tack the entire trip. We had at least two sails up the entire sail, only swapping out or reefing the sails for squalls. We had an average speed of nearly 6 knots, maxing out at 11.4 while in the Gulf Stream. Only had brief 10 minute rain showers and squalls during the nights, and only one or two per night. Other than that, sunny skies and a steady 15 to 20 knot wind ENE the entire trip. And the seas were 6 to 8 ft (12 to 16 ft top to bottom of the wave) except in the Gulf Stream where they were about 10 ft.

To those of you who have no idea the scale of this trip... Sailing from North America to Europe is typically done with the longest leg being 650 miles.

So all is well and I am happy to be spending thanksgiving with the whole family.

Marshall- I would personally like to thank you and all of the people serving in the US Coast Guard. You ( they) made us feel very comfortable while sailing. We saw the USCG 4 out of the 7 days, and were hailed once. We believe that we were a training vessel for the crew aboard ship 908 since they spent about 4 hours practicing approaches to our boat. Very polite on the radio. When I get back to a computer instead of a cell phone, I can elaborate on my gratitude.

That said, I am most pleased that we didn't have to hail the USCG.

J Swift

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

Marshall -

That name of my Mom's boat is 'Anhinga'... but admittedly the CG Cutter 908 read it as 'Antigua'... Honest mistake since the paint on the hull has faded after a few years in the Carribean. One of many reasons my parents decided to sail back to the states.

This is my parents most recent blog entry about the sail from Puerto Rico:

http://svanhinga.blogspot.com/2011/11/november-15-22-2011-long-passage-home.html

And my Mom wanted to make sure that you recognize these folks as well:

http://svanhinga.blogspot.com/2011/03/march-11-22-2011-christiansted-st-croix.html

Sailing in to a well-kept, well-marked channel at night is so much kinder on the nerves than trying to do the same in a place where the markers and pilings are in shambles or not to be found. Just as much gratitude should be given to the men and women who maintain the markers and pilings as those aboard the big, fancy ships and helicopters!

(Boy, looking at the last picture in the most recent post, I'm kind of embarrassed to display such a sad American flag... We have already raised a new one and given the old one a proper farewell)

J Swift

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

Jim-

I finally got to use an actual computer and the pictures of your guys drive are amazing! Definitely worth a repeat later with more members of the ISRCG!

And I should take no credit for anything on the blog other than suggesting the idea to my parents to keep one. All of the content is credited to the two of them.

My step dad thinks of himself as an amateur photographer (he was once published in a sailing magazine and you would think it was the most important thing he ever accomplished). So, most of the photos on the blog are from his eye and possibly coaxed a bit with Photoshop.

J Swift

1972 Opel GT "Mae"

• BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

The BMW 2002 Production Run

BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

• Supporting Vendors