• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOT: I see that a lot of you guys are into bikes...whats the

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

on using a track bike (fixed rear flywheel) for daily transport?

also, if anyone has a fork w/suspension that would fit an older (tequesta) GT mtn bike for sale, i'd love to know.

Guest Anonymous

..so long as your commute isnt 20miles or something!!

Maybe experiment with the front chainring tooth size - stick a chainring on that gives you enough oomph so you are not spinning your little legs at high rpms just to move.

Nobody will catch you at stoplight dashes tho.....

I used my fixed cogger - it certainly gets you fit.

Dunno what types your track bike has - get a cheap set of hybrid types to proteck your softer compound maybe..

Cheap suspension forks. DO a dogile.com search for MTB message boards. Find some Gters and figure out what brands work - Id guess cheaper Marzocchis, non judy RoX.

Guest Anonymous

what's going to happen to your legs (strapped into the pedals) when you make your first emergency stop??

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

When I was in college I used a "fixed" gear track bike for commuting. I lived about 3 miles from school mainly on flat pavement.... road the bike year round even in -20 def F weather! The schools campus wasn't flat so it was always a thrill to see if I could stop at the bottom of steep hills.... you'll build up lots of muscles you didn't know you had... and your riding form will improve as well.

If I did it again I'd add a front brake.... being It really wasn't safe with so many pedestrians and cars about. But it was fun balancing at stop lights to impress the onlookers!

Look on ebay... there are always lots of bikes for sale.

WH

ex 70's & 80's USCF racer..

Guest Anonymous

if you are going to go to a velodrome anytime in the future, get a real track bike. The KHS and Bianchi's can be had for around $500 new.

For just a simplfied commuter, get a conversion and keep the cost down.

BTW, about coasting on the fixed gear, you only forget ONE time. We can always pick out the roadies at the track when they get launched off of their saddle. (me, sometimes)

Steve J

72 tii Verona

95 C'dale track

99/00 Bianchi Reparto Corsa Pista