Brake pad & shoe question.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

eric_schaper2.jpg

What's a good front brake pad to use with the 5er big brake upgrade? I use the car for street and some autocross. Also, what's out there for the rear with 320 brakes, other than stock, anything?

Thanks you guys.

Eric

Guest Anonymous

unless you're doing _very_ heavy track time. The rear brakes just keep the back end from wanting to swap with the front under heavy braking. The car's weight and most of the 'action' happens with the fronts.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

Hey John N.

The rear brakes do effect the fronts

I just spent three days with Thomas Gillespie, author of "Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics" in which he published the equations to describe this.

The Maximum braking force on the front axle is dependent on that present on the rear axle through deceleration and associated forward load transfer resulting from rear brake action. (A first-order determinatnt of peak traction force on an axle is the instantaneous load.)

Good rear brakes can make the threshold for locking up the fronts a bit higher.

Guest Anonymous

time). I know I can't consistently threshold brake (I'm just not that good), and if I was trying to, I'd upgrade from Metal Masters (good street and light track front pad), to Hawks and give a lot of thought to upgrading my rear shoes also.

Cheers!

John N