• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW VS DATSUN VS ALFA ROMEO Jan 1972

c.d.iesel

The three must own cars of that era. I read that article at the time and thanks for the refresher. It never gets old.

A bit foggy but there were later updates to the big Alfa gas tank. ~It was disclosed that the original approved tank was made to accommodate dry ice compartment to cool the fuel and get a bit more capacity. The Alfa crew chief said they modified the tank to eliminate the compartment and inadvertently increased the capacity.

Of course in the Datsun and BMW camps skepticism was the rule. The rumor was the Alfa still had plenty of gas at the finish line and the driver shut off the fuel pump to fake running out of gas.

Rick

And where are they now...as far as market values for an Alfa, a 510, or a 2002?

I think owning my Alfa was like owning a boat- The old saying about the two happiest days of a boat owners life. The lucky ones were the people that bought an Alfa, got disgusted or broke from it, and had a place to park it away for many years. Push it out of the garage and sell it for a hefty profit now.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

The spirit of the small bore sedan racing lives, though at a more personal level (cars not backed by the manufacturers). The attached sheet is the run group for VARA's vintage race event this coming weekend at Willow Springs International Raceway (in Lancaster, CA for anyone with an interest in checking it out). -KB

post-3032-13667651097327_thumb.jpg

They will be running this weekend at Texas World Speedway with CVAR also with a host of vintage classes. In BS we typically see 3-4 Bimmers, an Alpha or two, and a couple of Datsuns with the occasional Cortina.

BMWCCA #545

1972 BMW 2002 Colorado "Traumcycle"

2000 BMW 323Ci

And where are they now...as far as market values for an Alfa, a 510, or a 2002?

I think owning my Alfa was like owning a boat- The old saying about the two happiest days of a boat owners life. The lucky ones were the people that bought an Alfa, got disgusted or broke from it, and had a place to park it away for many years. Push it out of the garage and sell it for a hefty profit now.

It seems about a tie now.

Recently I saw an Alfa in what looked like decent shape for $1200 and one not much cleaner for $10,000. Old age and reality set in as I have enough projects. Back in the 80s a guy I worked with had a fully restored Alfa for sale. I think he sold it for $900.

Before I bought my current BMW I was looking at 510s to bring the numbers owned even at 2 each. Couldn't touch one for what I could get an '02 for. I have resolved to die having only owned one 510 at live with 1:3.

I don't really need another Datsun. Every single one of them was ridden hard and put away wet. If I have the numbers right, there were something like 5X as many 510 made as '02s. Problem is the owners were a bunch of ham and eggers vs. the BMW crowd who actually do things like change the oil and had the $4 to do it back in the day. I wouldn't be surprised if there are now 5X as many '02s registered as 510s.

The '02 just fits better. The darn Teutonic bucket of bolts was designed to fit your average well feed, oversized beer drinking and schnitzel German so it stands to reason it makes for a better fit for your hot dog eating beer guzzling American.

Looking at the pictures I notice the Datsun looks like it has a crossflow head. Hmmm, if you disqualify the cheaters in the series...

Rick

I think my son and I are heading up on Saturday to the races at Willow springs..:.:-). It'll be my first time! Lemme know who all will be there and if you want to meet up....also, any tips for the best experience?

Stephen

Here's the schedule:

http://www.vararacing.com/content/5554.pdf

The BMW guys usually pit to the right side of the entry, and Jeff from IE parks behind the tire shop (roughly). Plenty of cars in the left-side pit area as well.

There's a small grandstand at the exit of turn 9 (good place to see some 'excitement') and the end of the front straight. Drive your car up to the 'Bud Tower' for another view.

On a normal day, Willow Springs is windy... with the predicted cool temperatures, might be wise to bring more than a t-shirt. -KB

print and enjoy over lunch or bed time story

Back in 2002 Road & Track did a follow up photo shoot at Laguna Seca on this article.

They had Horst Kwech and John Morton with their respective cars and Rug Cunninghams BMW 2002 Trans Am car that I drove for the photo shoot. It was a lot of fun to recreate this.

-Jeff