• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Weep

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Can the oil collecting in the web of the dist mount/bracket at the rear of the head be coming from a head bolt? Replaced valve cover gasket and leak is still there. Its definitly not coming from the dist or dist housing. can one head bolt be pulled and reinstalled without head damage? permatex and retorque?

Guest Anonymous

not sure if I understand exactly where the oil is collecting, but I

had a leaky oil pressure sender on a 320i once that caused what

you're describing. $10 for a new one, no further trouble.

HTH,

Dave

Guest Anonymous

I've stuffed a rag between the head bolt and valve cover and all the leakage was adsorbed so its definitly coming from forward of the oil press sensor

Guest Anonymous

ring on the shaft of the disti. PITA!!

I can't wait for MegaJolt Lite and pitch that damn thing.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

M10_head_bolt_weep.jpg

The condition you've described is not uncommon, but the root cause may not be obvious if you are not familiar with the oiling system on the cylinder head.

Both the rocker shafts have notches where the head bolts pass thru. In the pic, you can just see the head bolt hole visible from inside the rocker shaft bore in the head. The main oil galleries of the head are actually the hollow rocker shafts themselves. Oil enters the head (from the block) surrounding the forward-most head bolt on the intake side. From there, oil both enters the intake rocker shaft & also flows thru a drilled passage to the front cam journal, and then over to the exhaust rocker shaft. The rocker shafts are drilled in locations that feed the rockers and also to match the drilled paths to the last two cam journals.

So if you follow the path when looking at a disassembled head, you will see there are four head bolt holes that are filled with oil under pressure: Two at the front; one on exh side at center; one at the exh side rear.

Only the one at the rear is not hidden under the valve cover -- if the other three leaked, how would you know?

Your problem is likely the same as shown in the picture.

Previous tightening of the head bolt has left a deformation where the washer became embedded into the aluminum head casting. That leaves the ridge being pin-pointed at in the photo, which can prevent an oil-tight seal under the washer when refitting. If the bolts have never been removed, it could be leaking just due to the loss of clamp load from the embedding. How much did the bolt turn when you checked the torque to tighten?

Sorry I don't have an good idea for a service fix "on vehicle", this is something better caught & corrected before assembly (spot face the surface under the washer). You don't want to put anything soft in the joint to seal (no crush washer or RTV), or you will have the head bolt loosen more easily than the initial embedding allowed.

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like I will be living with a rag stuffed there. Only 5k miles on rebuild so I do not plan on pulling the head any time soon. PO had the head work done before I bought the car. All I did was assembly

Guest Anonymous

I said I did not have a suggestion, but I'd worry about that oily rag falling on your exhaust.

In that case I'd pull the bolt & see if some improvement can come from a different (yet still appropriate) washer.

If you do feel tempted to use a sealer, avoid RTV. It tends to squeeze out in rubbery globs that clog oil passages. If you do use a sealer use a very small amount of Yamabond or Hylomar just to fill the recess near any ridge found, and avoid getting any extra squeezed into the bolt hole.