Thinking of changing my tii to dual sidedrafts. What kind of

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone done this and can give advice? Would it be cheaper to rebuild k-pump and injectors, etc.? How much more performance would I see out of sidedrafts? Reliability w/ sidedrafts?

TIA!!!

Guest Anonymous

it should be a fairly easy job. cost for a pair of new webers and manifold around $900.00. less if you buy

off ebay which is where I got mine. once set up they're easy to maintain with a little adjustment

now and then to keep them synced. I'm sure you could sell your old stuff to someone in need of parts to help finance your carbs. As far as performance I think you could get close to the same as the k-pump. I have

40 dcoe's 9.3:1 comp. K300 cam and a cheap header. I dynoed at about 115hp at the wheels. Maybe one of these tii owners will jump in and make a case for you

keeping it stock.

Guest Anonymous

There is most likely nothing wrong with your f.i. pump. They have a bullet-proof reputation. If your distributor is old, it will make a tii very difficult to tune, and it will never run as well as it should. If the linkages are loose, that will cause problems as well.

Contact Bob Murphy of the tii register. His contact information is on the BMWCCA web-site. Bob has available vast quantities of printed and video tii tuning information for very reasonable prices. Do a web search for "Kugelfischer" also.

In addition to the Weber carbs, you would have to replace the fuel pump. The tii fuel pump puts out way too much pressure for a carb. And don't forget the air cleaners and assorted $100 worth of other unforseen stuff.

And how could you leave the "tii" badge on the back of the car without the Kugel pump purring away. I think you'd probably suffer from severe guilt.

Guest Anonymous

with your car as a tii, really the only way to find more power is to add an A4 injection or slidethrottle injection system. Since that is prohibitively expensive, you are basically stuck with stock , plus a little, performance numbers. BUT, with dual side draft carbs, you can get all kinds of power from the M10, depending on carb size and set-up, cam, compression, spark delivery, etc. There are plenty of dual carb 2002s putting out 170 hsp all day long without effort. The really monster set ups have been rated at 190 hsp. You wont ever find those numbers witha K-fisher pump.I think you still can carry your tii badge , even if you do denude the car of its k-fisher, you just have to put it on up-side down, lol. BUT, you may take some heat from tii purists who will argue that only 7,000 or so tiis were delivered to usa total, and that they should all remain tii configured. Take any 2002 and carb it up to the roof, but leave the tiis injected. I think if you have 1 2002 and you want some big(ger) power, you almost have to go carbs.///

Guest Anonymous

First of all you didn't mention why you were

interested in switching over to sidedrafts. if your

injection system is in top condition, leave it

injected. If you've checked with your local BMW

guru and he says it 's "kaput", then switch. Which

was my case a few years ago and it cost about

$1100 (Ireland Engineering) for the parts (carbs,

manifold, linkage, fuel pump, filters and fuel line)

and I let someone who knew what they were doing

put them on for a few hundred more which was

WELL WORTH IT.

Note about sidedrafts. My car runs great with

them, but in cool or cold weather they take some

coaxing to get started because of no choke. Vroom

sputter, pop, pop, vroom, pop, pop, pop. But once

it's warmed up ...hang on!

Oh yeah, they look and sound cool too.

Guest Anonymous

I thought I was in 2nd but I was in 4th, rolling at about 30mph through a light that I had slowed down for. I just let the K-fish pull me on off at 30mph in 4th gear back up to a respectable speed. The smoothness of the tii offers "driveability" that I wouldn't swap for carbs. Just my 02 cents -

Hope everyone has a safe and happy w/e.