Do Dying Distributors Make Noise?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Red2002Small.jpg

If a dizzy falls in a 2002 and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? My '72 motor makes a bit of a high-frequency squeaking that almost sounds like a belt but seems to be coming from the distributor. It also is regularly making gray dust inside the cap (seems like my last '02 didn't do that). Any thoughts guys? Thanks to all for a great time down in Palo Alto!

Guest Anonymous

I don't know where your noise may be coming from but I do know this: a worn distributor shaft will allow the rotor to move enough to cut into the contacts on the distributor cap. This creates fine copper dust.

In my case, the dust would get so bad that the optical pickup on my crane ignition would sometimes stop working (too little light passing through the heavy film of dust.)

For a long time I replaced the cap and rotor more frequently than others might. This was an attempt to avoid the cost of a new dizzy-- the cost of cap and rotor replacement over time will (as you may find) become justification enough.

I can't say that this IS in fact your car's problem but that is what it "sounds" like to me

Good luck

Bill

Guest Anonymous

dry at the rubbing block on the points and make a loud enough "squeal" to hear from inside the car over the engine & exhaust noise.