2002 vs 911?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Lately I've been thinking about getting a second fun car, in particular maybe an older 911. Gonna keep the '02 (of course!). Anyone have any thoughts or owned both?

Guest Anonymous

Clutch for the average 02 - about / under $200 - and about ONE THIRD what a 911 clutch kit costs....if that gives you any inkling.

I love those ole Porsches - but I could NEVER afford to own one.

Engine rebuilds can escalate into the tens of thousands.

HTH!

Paul

Guest Anonymous

comes big speed.

The right years can be SCREAMING fast cars...

the wrong ones cna be huge bills, and no movement at all...

t

Guest Anonymous

beemer.jpg

I have had both I have a 1970 2002 and I had a 1967 911. I loved the 911 I regret ever selling it. But like everyone has said mantenance can be exspensive.

Guest Anonymous

it's sexy..quick..handles great...[however stock they ride very rough]..as if u had sport shocks, springs,large sway bars.neoprene everything..this is not a bad thing.. but after a few hundred miles down the road it is a little tough..parts are expensive , as are the guys who work on them.. like any car if u dont completely drive the hell out of it,it will run forever with no major work needed... just like a good rebuilt 02...my favorite car is my 02 i dont know why it just is....

dave

61 356b

67 912 [wifes car]

74 2002

77 911s

87 944 turbo

Guest Anonymous

My parents have an 86 944. Not the most powerful car, but I have NEVER driven a car that felt more stable at 100 than it did at 50. Best handling car I have ever driven and the yardstick by which I judge whether a car handles well or not.

I think they have like 60,000 miles on it. Looks brand new still.

Guest Anonymous

your current fleet. At one time or another I've owned a 65 356C, 66 911, 66 912 (sunroof), 67 912 (sunroof), 69 911E, and 72 914. I've also owned a ton of original beetles, a VW converted pickup, VW van, VW type III, VW Rabbit and two VW Golfs. I now have 69 1600/2002, 74 2002 and 91 325i. Gosh, I've had a lot of cars. Oh, I forgot one: 91 Honda Civic HB Si. Only two of those cars I bought new.

Guest Anonymous

car, but couldn't justify the cost of doing the work it needed when it got up around 150K miles. It still ran very strong but had multiple small seeping oil leaks and seriously worn valve guides. Cost to do JUST the top end would have been over $3k and it still would have had leaks (and iffy oil pressure when hot); a full, do-everything-the-right-way engine rebuild would have been somewhere between $6.5 and $8k six years ago. That figure did NOT include adding a front mounted oil cooler, converting the a/c system to a rotary compressor and replacing all the leaking a/c hoses which would have added almost another $2k.

Early 911s (especially the lighter pre-74 cars) are bags of fun - most of 'em are plenty quick (especially the "S" models) and I don't know many cars that can match the soundtrack of a good running 911 under hard accelleration.

E-mail me if I can answer any further questions for you - I was real deep into Porsches for probably 20 years.....

Guest Anonymous

A Porsche doesn't come into my mechanics shop that doesn't leave without a $2000 bill. If you buy one, be sure you have a nice cash reserve to fix it.