• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which ECU to go with? SDSefi, Haltech, Microtech?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I like the SDS system cause it sounds simple to program plus the wireing harness being premade.. the haltech looks more robust about the same price but gotta wire everything up yourself.. the data logging helps as well as laptop power.. microtech.. relativly new unit in my search but comes with DIS and injection plus handheld and/or laptop programmer and logger... $1300 is about my limit.. any advice?

Guest Anonymous

Personally I think the SDS is pretty darn cool, and as you probably know a couple of 02ers use them. The name says it all, Simple! I choose not to go with one because it too streamlined as a fuel/ignition controller alone, while I was looking for more. The Microtech seems to take the sds features to the next level while retaining the handcontroller. A lot of bells and whistles, err advanced features ;). Is there a web site with more detailed info, possibly a manual online? Can you only get to certain features with a laptop? I imagine the logs would only be viewable on a laptop. This raises the question - If you have a laptop, is there any advantage to having handcontroller too?

Do you have a need or want for sequential injection (and or coil per cylinder ignition), boost control, stepper motor idle control, staged injectors, individual cylinder tuning or any other advanced features?

David

Guest Anonymous

probably (IMHO of course) shouldn't take on adapting a 2002 to EFI. No matter what system you go through you have to make additions to your wiring harness and plumb higly flamable fluid at high pressure from the back to the front of your car. The simple truth is if your budget is $$$ you can buy a commercial EFI brain and those lovely TWM TB's, fuel rail and manifolds.

If your budget is that large, screw the EFI conversion, go to a S14 and be done with it (IMHO again of course).

For those on a more limited budget, with some mucking about, you can get a lot of performance for not a whole lot of money.

BTW, sequential injection is a fuel mileage not a performance enhancement (you actually want to spray gas on the intake valves to help atomize it). Its also a major pain-in-the-ass to get the cam position on a 2002.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

Sequential and injector location are debateable. My personal opinion is sequential has the potential to pay power dividends accelerating to high rpm WOT, and this is especially interesting since I spend most of my time accelerating to high RPM. And, injectors are best placed way out the manifold for best power, but since it has drawbacks at lower rpm and throttle angles, staged injection is better.

One thing is for sure, sequential is more complex, and more difficult to tune. Same with staged injection.

"Its also a major pain-in-the-ass to get the cam position on a 2002." I believe it is very easy. Think about a modified petronix or optical setup. I am not going this route, but I don't know any reason that it would not work.

Guest Anonymous

It's the time to hunt down the parts for the megasquirt.. the time to assemble it.. test it.. etc.. it's just more time efficent for me to get something assembled.. I looked at purchasing one of those preassembled kits but by the time you got all the shit.. it was upwards of $450 by the time you get all the cables.. then I need senders.. by the time I get those... we're getting pretty close to a sdsefi system... I'm not trying to put down the megasquirt system but if you value your time as money then it's not alot cheaper than something pre assembled... I have no problem setting up a high pressure system on an 02.. infact if you leave the ignition alone and get DCOE EFI replacement TB's.. it's pretty simple... less fabrication.. then the install looks clean.. few wires as possible.. IMHO every s14 conversion I've ever seen done leaves the s14 standing out like a huge sore thumb... it's about as 02 as a SR20DET in an 02.. sure it's made by bmw but thats kinda where the similarities end.. (insert flames here) Someone had mentioned that lynx has one... but last I heard was it was "in development" along with that supercharger.. maybe they'll be here in time for christmas.. 2004... I'd buy one right now if they were available.. but I guess I'm just frustrated from waiting... needless gonna set this up with the direct port nitrous injection and the weber throttle bodys... then once stabilized I will put the turbo on and change the cam.. needless... I like megasquirts principle but I'm shoping for something closer to drop in... thanks though... atleast got to read a ton about megasquirt..

Party on

Kris

Guest Anonymous

using a surge tank and a something like a holley red to feed the tank and then have a bosch inline efi pump from a 318i to feed the system from up front.. makes it easy..

Guest Anonymous

Hey.

I can definitely tell you, you don't want the microtech if it is for a road car. A lot of cars tend to run the microtech down here in oz. There is a guy down the road who is sticking one on an early 70s ford capri, with a small block v8, bored and stroked (resleeved) out to 460ci, running twin turbos, no intercooler. About 1000hp, expecting around 6 sec quarters. That kind of car suits a microtech. And rotaries seem to go alright on them as well. The problemis that they aren't too good on start up and can run pretty doggy when not fantastically set up. Their cold start stuff is ordinary. They are designed a s a computer for essentially wringing max power out of something, even at the expense of drivability. Not realy a road ecu, but well suited for a race car. I think the progression is what is not so nice. The gun ecu is prolly the motec, see www.motec.com.au but they are kinda dear. I believe the autronic is a slightly no frills version of the above, but cheaper. www.autronic.com We have the haltech in our turbo and it is pretty good. I would prolly recommend the haltech if I had to pick one (that is not diy...). Their new e11 looks pretty flash and is the first to have a windows based os for the software see www.haltech.com.au Another option, personally I wouldn't, ca only do 1 map at a time, i think, is the wolf 3d, but they now ahave a new version, maybe it is better. http://www.wolfems.com.au/home, have a look at the specs anyway :)

Anyhoo, hope it helps a little.

Michael S.