Just refueled - Maybe a Fuel tank Leak? ARRGGHHH

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Not sure whats going on - not enough coffee yet and the ground is too damp to explore under the car BUT:

Just re-fuelled car. Close to finishing i notice a small pool of fuel behind the rear tyre. Its gas. Looks to be dripping slowly from behind the rocker panel (below the side-bumper piece)

Theres no obvious leak, and just checked the inner trunk-it is DRY.

PO paid for a new fuel tank /r&rd in 1993. The only damp patch is the leading outside edge of the tank (below the floor, closest to the rear suspension). This was patched/welded - looks like at the same time new tank was installed. But this ISNT the tank - just the floor!!???

Any experience/similar tales to point me in the right direction? Thanks

Guest Anonymous

may have a split.....try not to fill over half full until the problem is found......you might want to siffen out the gas into a gas can before your car errupts into flames.

Guest Anonymous

No sign of a leak, no dampness. Its been and hour or so since i refueled. This makes the detective work hard....

Guest Anonymous

If your vapor recovery system is disconnected, a PO may have routed it out the trunk floor someplace. Trace the plastic line from the rubber fuel inlet boot inside the trunk and see where it goes. Maybe you just splashed some fuel through that line and it went out the other end.

Early cars without vapor recovery had a line that went straight out the rear edge of the trunk. I think my '68's was a metal line if I recall correctly.