Rust!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://bmw.mach.net/5_20_2003.php

Hm, it appears the great body on the car has led to great underbody problems.

Could I get some opinions on how bad it appears? There's a lot of scaling rust, but this seems to be the only problem spot, the traditional strut tower/etc. problems are not apparent?

http://bmw.mach.net/5_20_2003.php

Thanks,

-Patrick

Guest Anonymous

You're right, the front floor pans need replacing, back ones too from the look of the underside. A reasonably skilled welder can patch using clips from donor cars from sunnier climes. Make a diligent inspection of the frame rails which run halfway back under the front floors, just outboard of the holes shown. And I hate to tell you this, but the rear wheel wells and shock towers need some serious attention too, judging by the rusty seams. (There is a new replacement set on ebay now.) This is not an area where POR-15 can be used due to the stress it bears.

The body is nice looking and you may be able to get away with patches everywhere but the rockers.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://members.roadfly.com/bmer5/driversfloor1.jpg

A lot of 02s rust there because of the metal flats added at the front of the floor pan to support the body while it moved around the factory. They made for perfect moisture traps.

IMO, it is not a difficult area to repair. It would be a shame to drop a project over this area (if that is what you are thinking). However, I would be extremely suprised if you had a floor in that condition, without more rust in other areas. Be sure to aggresively probe typical rust areas with a screwdriver. The undercoating and body schutz can conceal a lot.

The pic is a patch I made with tin spips, hammer, bag of sand, and a vise with hardwood blocks (to bend the angles).

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, I missed 99 percent of your site.

Definately get in there with a screwdriver. I hope this is not the case, but I have a feeling you are going to find a lot more soft areas.

What are your goals?

Guest Anonymous

Thankfully, I'm having the body work done. I'm just disassembling/reassembling. However, cost is certainly an issue. This was my mother's car, and she put it in storage, it's going to be a gift for her when it's complete.

There is a bit of rust on the seams, but the rest of the shock towers seemed okay...

Thanks for your help!

-Patrick

Guest Anonymous

sorry to say, this looks terminal, you can fix it for major $, or superfically for less, but it won't last. A good 74 - 76 project car is less than $1000, and you get all those additional parts! really start over, this is a $ trap,

Guest Anonymous

Well, I guess at this point after thinking about it, the fact is it has to be repaired. This was my mom's first car, it's been sitting in storage for the past 12 years for a reason.

And the rebuild has to last. We'll see how things turn out this weekend.

Guest Anonymous

will_trunk.jpg

URL: http://www.2002tii-restoration.com

You won't know how big the iceberg is until you completly disassemble and strip the shell. I think its totally cool that you want to fix the car up for your mom. Emotional reasons often are the best reasons for restoring a car, because you'll get emotional when you get the bill from the body shop. My advice, better learn how use a mig welder - fast. Good luck to you!

Martin

'73tii

Guest Anonymous

Well, the body shop owner is a friend of the family and the one who was storing the car. I think he owes us a favor as he's the one who didn't consider prepping the car for storage when it was done, or even having it covered.

If I could have the whole shell back in working order for $2500-$3000, I think I'd be happy with that, as I can do the rest.

Guest Anonymous

Hi Patrick! 76s are somewhat known for being prone to floor pan rust. In your case that's good news because usually so much rust would indicate terminal cancer throughout. It is, therefore, possible, albeit unlikely, that your shock towers and rockers are ok. You should thouroughly investigate those areas before spending any money or labor-yours or otherwise-on this car. I say this to you as someone who lives in your area, is willing to help, and knows 02s pretty well-sometimes one has to face the fact that a car is gone. If you find that the rust is in all of the above mentioned areas, you can fix it. But, you will not have the same car you started with. There will be so much new sheetmetal and parts that you should really consider getting an intact roller-they are out there for cheap. Then transfer the vin tags, title, parts, color, gearshift knob, you get the picture, to the new shell. It will cost you less, you will have a way better car that is more your mom's old car than had you grafted on tons of non-factory sheetmetal, it will be easier (but not easy), and it will be worth far more. You will have something you can truly be proud of. Honestly, what is the difference between restoring a car one piece of sheetmetal at a time or all at once?-it's still new sheetmetal. As for the favor owed you, that debt would be better paid spraying the new shell. The guy doing it would certainly be happier I'll bet and painting is not cheap.

Sorry for the long post. I would have e-mailed you directly but you did not post your e-mail address. BTW-for other readers-I have yet another new e-mail address attached to" Nevada72" above.