jgerock

2002ti wannabe project begins

1,075 posts / 200572 viewsLast Reply

What? No pics?

Who are you, and what did you do with Jim?

:-p

Ray

Got me beat! I'm especially impressed by the rusted out oil pump pickup. How long was this sitting - decades?

Not so sure Bill. The CA tag has a July 2007 registration sticker. Makes a guy wonder.

I just removed both front turn signals to get a peek into the fender cavities. Left side has some rust along the upper edge. Right side is crusty - the wire grommet thru the lower edge is missing.

Bling!

Did u get a silver center grille also?

Cheers,

Ray

NOS silver here if ya want...

http://www.linwar.com/bmw_e10_grilles.html

I'm not sure when the 2002's switched from all-silver to black slats in the kidney grill. One detail in the December 2002 Roundel (Car of the Year of the Car) describes 1968 2002's had "Side grills blacked out with paint; center grill bars black anodized".

Maybe 1600s kept the all silver Kidney longer than the 2002's????

I thought 1600's always had unique silver side and centre grilles... and 2002's had black slats.

Cheers,

Ray

NOS silver here if ya want...

http://www.linwar.com/bmw_e10_grilles.html

I'm not sure when the 2002's switched from all-silver to black slats in the kidney grill. One detail in the December 2002 Roundel (Car of the Year of the Car) describes 1968 2002's had "Side grills blacked out with paint; center grill bars black anodized".

Maybe 1600s kept the all silver Kidney longer than the 2002's????

Jim -

What was the PN for the E21 coolant branch? I need one of those.....

Ken

Here you go Ken.

1 320i water divider 11531267535

1 Screw plug 7119919228

1 Return pipe 11531266817

1 Water reducer hose 11531266472

1 Water hose outlet 64211356170

All parts plus more are listed in the excellent DCOE sidedraft conversion How to article here on the FAQ. As Marshall pointed out to me, you can use a divider from an E30 that has an additional NPT fitting for another sensor if you are running an electric fan.

there is a better coolant neck option.

the one from the m10 in an e30 318.

why? because it has THREE sensor ports in it. the E21 version only has two. why is three good? 1/ stock temp gauge 2/ vdo or other temp gauge 3/ temp switch for an electric fan.

if you don't need the extra port now, you can just plug it. easier to put the three port one in now than realize you want it later and have to switch.

three port one top center in this pic.

DSCN5614.jpg

installed here

DSCN0582.jpg

threads are all metric on the water necks, not NPT.

I thought 1600's always had unique silver side and centre grilles... and 2002's had black slats.

Cheers,

Ray

You are correct.

Thanks Marshall and Jim. I think I have an E30 318 water neck out there somewhere. Maybe I should dig through the parts bins, instead of buying more parts. What I should really do is wait until I build my engine before buying anyting.

Jim - keep it up. Can't wait to see the Ti Tribute.

Ken

This poor car must have been once owned by Popeye since the handbrake base has been botched several times.

IMG_7307.jpg

One cable has (2) nuts as spacers as a temporary fix to the ever-loosening base.

IMG_7310.jpg

After removing the pivot dowell and lever I am left with this

IMG_7311.jpg

IMG_7314.jpg

From below, I can see where (1) screw has been forced from above

IMG_7084.jpg

I have access to a center tunnel section (thanks to Grice and Mark B.) but wonder how to have it welded to the tunnel.

Has anyone here successfully done this before?

Are the (2) e-brake cable tubes welded to the "well" under the car?

Can I just replace the top section that is inside the car?