jgerock

2002ti wannabe project begins

1,073 posts / 196804 viewsLast Reply

Thanks Tom! If you decide to sell some repro units at some point, please count me in...maybe we can mock one up from some known assumptions (airbox and Tii mounting) and dimensions taken from the installed pic...

Great work Jim. Your pics are always very thorough. What are your plans for cleaning up the underbody?

Thanks Kris -

After I pull the engine and trans, I plan on pressure washing everything while in the driveway. I'm sure my townhouse neighbors will love that. I have an electric Karcher unit, but it might not have enough power (pressure) to blast that grime from the underside.

Thanks Tom! If you decide to sell some repro units at some point, please count me in...maybe we can mock one up from some known assumptions (airbox and Tii mounting) and dimensions taken from the installed pic...

I know someone who may have one of these brackets. Pretty basic design that bolts to the left shock tower.

Great work Jim. Your pics are always very thorough. What are your plans for cleaning up the underbody?

Thanks Kris -

After I pull the engine and trans, I plan on pressure washing everything while in the driveway. I'm sure my townhouse neighbors will love that. I have an electric Karcher unit, but it might not have enough power (pressure) to blast that grime from the underside.

i'll bring my 3000psi gas powered PW over. not only can we put more mud in the street, but it is really loud! ;-)

A very productive Monday. Arrived home at 6pm, fed the cats, took the trash bins out, changed clothes then went back under the car.

Drained the oil from the engine. Guess the head gasket is blown based on the amount of thin, syrupy goop.

IMG_7096.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

The tiny magnet in the drain plug didn't have much metal stuck to it - that is good.

Removed the clutch slave hose (black colored) then the shifter.

IMG_7102.jpg

IMG_7098.jpg

IMG_7104.jpg

Went back under then removed the tranny

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

Hmm. The main housing casting is from July 1975.

IMG_7113.jpg

IMG_7111.jpg

Serial number

IMG_7108.jpg

IMG_7109.jpg

Numbers stamped into the end housing

IMG_7110.jpg

LOL! when you have done it as many times as we have, it doesn't take very long to yank the tranny!

looks like you have a replacement tranny in there. good!

Marshall -

I was trying to think how many times you and I have pulled these trannies. The 4-speed is way easier than the 5 speed OD unit.

I skipped dinner - could have used some boiled t-stat soup...

Can someone tell me why the nose is stamped with these numbers?

Looking from driver's (left) side

IMG_7101.jpg

I remember seeing some numbers stamped into another car in the same place.

I don't know what they mean, but most '02s built say before '71 have similar numbers there. I've been told that they have no apparent meaning??

I recognize that stamp on the rear of the trans as one from Mike Schwarzbart of Berkeley Motor Works. Looks like it is one of the many that he built for Berkeley BMW Salvage/German Auto Salvage back in the day as it doesn't have the extra numbers that he could use to look up in his build log. I worked for him for 7 years, and German Auto Salvage before that.

Thanks for the info on the trans Tom!

I drained the fluid from it today. Typical old fluid and there are filings stuck to the drain plug.

IMG_7138.jpg

IMG_7136.jpg

Also vacuumed and wiped down the trunk. The rubber filler neck is rock hard. Hope it doesn't break when I pull it out.

IMG_7115.jpg

IMG_7122.jpg

Guess I'm not used to seeing one of these early cars. The hard vent line goes around the outer body and ends at a plug near the middle

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_7116.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

My taillight gaskets are MIA. No wonder there was dust/grime and rust in the trunk.

IMG_7126.jpg

Here is the plug in the spare tire well (Ben I think you were looking for this)

IMG_7123.jpg

Spent a little bit shining up the exterior chrome while I had the chance

IMG_7128.jpg

IMG_7132.jpg

Note the shiny Nevada paint behind the tag

IMG_7127.jpg

Polished the gas cap

IMG_7129.jpg

Good patina

IMG_7134.jpg

AND -

The mailman brought a nice package from SteveJ with these! THANKS STEVE!

IMG_7143.jpg

Next up: Engine removal

This is a great project to follow. Thanks for sharing it. Are you going to keep the car that color combo? I think that's one of the best color combos for an 02.

i can't believe you have not attacked the trunk lid with your buffer and some cutting compound Jim...just for the heck of it!

would not worry about the filings on the tranny drain plug.

engine hoist and pressure washer coming over tomorrow!

i can't believe you have not attacked the trunk lid with your buffer and some cutting compound Jim...just for the heck of it!

would not worry about the filings on the tranny drain plug.

engine hoist and pressure washer coming over tomorrow!

I'm waiting until we can push it out into the driveway for a good scrubbing, THEN I'll buff out the paint ;-).

This is a great project to follow. Thanks for sharing it. Are you going to keep the car that color combo? I think that's one of the best color combos for an 02.

Thanks for the comments. The car will stay Nevada. Right now, I'm planning on using my tii steel wheels and hubcaps (hope the 185-70-13 tires are still available when I need to buy them). Tire Rack has Sumitomo HTR4s.