jgerock

2002ti wannabe project begins

1,077 posts / 203468 viewsLast Reply

the key to getting the tool frame down enough without the valves hitting each other was to crank down on the intake side first.  this pushed the intake valves down before the exhaust valves allowing more clearance between the valve heads...or just enough for the rockers to clear the cam lobes.  flipping the head numerous times during the evolution to make sure a piece of paper could fit between the valve heads was important.

Thanks for adding those comments.  It is a somewhat tricky operation to install a camshaft - especially a non-stock one.  I now appreciate the time and cost factors when paying a shop to do the work.

My "down the middle" shot

IMG_9208_zpsec84d859.jpg

You're doing nice job. 316 cam with oversized journals and 48/39mm valves the installation gets really interesting. I still can't do it in a fluent way though I have done it several times and tried 3 different kind of tools etc. I'd really like to see someone do it right once.

Tommy

Had a little "aha" moment today when trying to figure out why the passenger side axle was binding up when barely tightening the stub axle nut.  Took both trailing arms and some tools over to MLytle's house this afternoon so we could do some investigative work.  We first tried another axle but it acted the same as the original one.  We then compared the space between the hub/trailing arm and stub axle flange/trailing arm on the driver's side assembly.  The pass. side hub was contacting the trailing arm housing.

We then removed the seals and bearings only to find that I had accidently installed the bearing spacer behind the inner bearing (it is supposed to go behind the OUTER bearing).  All is well now so I can start assembling the rear suspension pieces.

I also tried visiting a body shop in Lorton but they were closed all week.  Will try again this week.

Will be visiting a local body shop this Friday to see if they are up to doing the body and paint work on "Oscar".  The owner and I talked today on the phone and he mentioned they had painted some 2002's so I am hopeful this is a good sign.   They use both Spies-Hecker and Glasurit brand paints (Glasurit Line 55 base/clearcoat) so that is another good sign. Will report back after I visit with them.  My wife just pressured me into setting a goal for 2014 to at least get the paint completed and maybe finish the car by the end of the year.  Working for the same company for the last 23 years, I have never been able to use my vacation accrual. Looks like I need to change that in 2014.

Happy New Year Folks!

BMW-2002-10.jpg

Jim -

In 2014 you need to take some time for you.  I've worked for the same company for almost 18 years.  I use up all of my vacation every year.  It's a good thing.

And please keep posting pics of your progress.

Ken

Since my 69 uses the smaller early style heater core and control valve, I need to swap the outlet fitting on the back of the 72 cylinder head with the one from the 69 head.  The threads are the same, but the wall thickness and hose connection is different (18 versus 15mm).  I will need to reduce the water bypass pipe hose as it passes under the intake manifold from the return side of the heater core. 

D1E02EBF-80F5-4BB2-9C6D-A9E76B1C204C_zps

A42DE268-BA99-4417-9D3F-BEED05F7AD3E_zps

Small update...

Have visited two body shops and will visit a 3rd in about two weeks. 

While I am not against keeping the car the original Nevada color, my wife does not like it and thinks it looks "homely" and an "old man's color".  We have been discussing changing it to a blue (Riviera or Atlantic) - she also like Colorado.  While searching thru the FAQ, I ran across this color chart courtesy of a link via Esty.

- 

1970-bmw-pg01_zpsc40beec5.jpg

I received a package yesterday containing an almost new set of H&R springs from FAQ'r Josh in Missouri (aka steaksauce).  Since I like the ride in the tii so much, I'm going to duplicate the setup in the 69 (except for the 13" wheels and 185-70 tires).

It's funny how us poor knuckle draggers are influenced by the lovely ladies in our lives.

I had been considering getting rid of the mini.  It still isn't running right.  It has a clutch issue.  It has an oil leak and I can't find the source.  But, my wife says "That's such a cool little car.  It's my favorite of the ones you have".  So, it's not going anywhere.

I actually like Nevada.  If I was going to do another one, I'd do Nevada, Bristol, or Florida.  Or maybe Caribe.  I like all of the blue colors.  Before I got my car, I looked at a Colorado car.  Very nice.

Hey - why is Fjord missing from your color chart?  

It's funny how us poor knuckle draggers are influenced by the lovely ladies in our lives.

Hey - why is Fjord missing from your color chart?

My wife has a vested interest in my hobby cars,

Maybe more colors on page 2? I did not look for it.

Installed the (2) missing shift tower bolts (vertical ones) and added Blue Loctite to the horizontal bolts.  Waiting for the next batch of parts to take to the powder  coater (including the shift tower support, tranny crossmember, front sway bar clamps, oil pan, etc).

Installed a new oil spray tube, clamps, hollow bolt w/crush washers on the cylinder head, then temporarily bolted up a new BMW double-row cam gear (don't ask how much these are now!) and adjusted the valves.  I used a set of rubber-lined gloves to turn the cam gear.  My previous BMW valve adjustment "tool" was fashioned by an old mechanic in the 80's for me out of a modified welding rod.  It broke last year.  I improvised and mangled a replacement tii air cleaner clamp.

2F1F0C4C-67F7-41CC-8670-2E230B5034A1_zps

25F60383-F04B-422A-AE3D-2A5951959CA9_zps

6695E15E-48C5-4323-B07F-A539F362E130_zps

Riviera is good!

This is the car I almost bought (just before I got the 69) - it's a 71.

P9235701_zps6297ab8f.jpg

Same car in an older 2002AD for sale picture (back when I was looking for my tii!)

phil_02_zpsc1879adb.jpg

No one asked, but I like Agave, Colorado and Riviera.  :)  Colors that are different, yet still subtle and classy, and look good with chrome.  I think fresh Sahara isn't bad, especially on the earlier cars.  I don't like it as much with the black plastic grilles and big bumpers.  

Think this one can make it to Vintage '15?  Realize there's no hurry...the journey of putting it together is a big part of the fun.

Scott