• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002ti wannabe project begins

jgerock

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some various suspension parts from the local powdercoater today. I used Extreme Powder Coating in Lorton, VA. Owner Gary Lamb is nice to deal with and appreciated my business. Í selected 50% gloss black instead of a matte or full-gloss finish.

69 (Ithink) rear subframe with 74tii trailing arms

IMG_8601.jpg

IMG_8609.jpg

74tii front struts

IMG_8606.jpg

IMG_8607.jpg

Front steering components and single groove metal crank pulley

IMG_8610.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg

Will drop off more after I get the front subframe reinforced.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim -

Wow. The cylinder head looks great! Did you by Dr. Schrick's cam from Ray? (Edit - just saw you ordered it from Turner. Watch your credit card. Last time I ordered from Turner - someone got my credit card and charged all over the place).

Your car is going to be fantastic when you finish.

I was out in the garage today, cleaning. Making room for another purchase - A 1974 BMW R90/6. Very excited.

Drove both the 911 and the Mini today. Will drive the 02 tomorrow.

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Jim -

Wow. The cylinder head looks great! Did you by Dr. Schrick's cam from Ray? (Edit - just saw you ordered it from Turner. Watch your credit card. Last time I ordered from Turner - someone got my credit card and charged all over the place).

Uh - oh. Waiting on delivery of the cam and springs from Turner. No charges yet on my card.

Jim Gerock

yeah, it was ugly. I ordered the Euro taillights for my E46 from them. Right afterwards, someone went on a shopping spree. My credit card shut it down, but it was the normal "Sign this notice that you foreswear you didn't do this" type of thing.

That was a few years ago, so they probably fixed their issue. But - I haven't ordered from them since.

When I bought my 292 cam, I got it from Ray and his guys. Got Titanium keepers and heavy duty springs from them as well. Good group.

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

Thanks to Marshall, today we completed the front subframe reinforcement. The metal piece has a wicked compound angle that makes it tough to conform to both sides of the left engine mount. After much bending, grinding and cleaning, Marshall welded it on. I think it looks great - now ready for the powder coater. I think I test fit another steering box 5 or 6 times before we decided it was going to clear.

IMG_8613-Copy.jpg

Edit - Forgot about the existing cracks on the original mount until Marshall reminded me. Subframe taken back over for more grinding and welding yesterday. This time, I did more grinding of the reinforcement piece (V notch) to allow a socket to be used on the engine mount stud.

Jim Gerock

Received another e-mail today from Chris at Turner Motorsports. Schrick cam and valve springs delayed again until 1/31. I placed my order before Thanksgiving. My customer's would have my head if I told them this news. Typical purchase order I receive on a daily basis: order date today - due date yesterday.

Jim Gerock

Jim -

A couple of things:

Why didn't you use the part from Ireland Engineering?

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-engine/02leftmmreinf.html

I realize you and Marshall could do it, but your time is worth something, isn't it?

Also - what's Turner's problem? Are Dr. Schrick's camshafts and springs as rare as oil pumps now?

I agree with you - there is a limit on how much you can wait. Does Korman have any available? Or how about Bav Auto?

IE also has a camshaft:

http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/2002-valvetrain/02cam292b.html

Bav Auto has some - search p/n 002 01 920 01

Something to think about....

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

-- My wife.

because we had pieces of metal sitting there, an outline from the reinforcment i did on my subframe, and a hankerin' to grind, cut, pound and bend something. and we had a beer for lunch. :-)

and at least my credit card has reached its IE limit this month...!!

2xM3

Jim -

Something to think about....

Ken

Price of cam and set of valve springs from Turner were less expensive than just the cam from Korman. Not sure about the availability from Schrick - maybe they have limited production runs of cams that are not in demand. I'll be OK as long as I eventually receive what I ordered.

No brainer using Marshall's cardboard template and some metal I believe we had left over from his roll bar reinforcement installation. Only took a few hours to shape then weld and finesse the piece. A crescent wrench works well along with a bench vice and hammer to bend the metal. I got to use Marshall's new angle grinder with cutting disc that slices thru metal just like butter.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Just a little info. in regards to the schrick.

Schrick was sold a few years ago to a larger company (can't remember who at the moment). Prior to this, Shrick had one US importer for all their parts, the US guys who've been around a while used this importer (Korman, IE, etc.). Once Shrick was sold to the larger company the parent company decided to circumnavigate the importer and sell directly to guys over here like VAC and Turner directly. Guys like Korman and us still deal with the original importer.

As far as I'm aware Schrick does not sell HD single valve springs as a kit. A wholesaler can purchase just the outer springs individually. but the spring pressures on the outer springs are the same specs as the factory springs (just produced in a more tightly controlled manner).

As a side note, since I've taken your diff already, I'm going after Marshall's angle grinder next!

Andrew -

Interesting information about the distribution of these parts. Schrick technical catalog indicates they are a member of the AVL Group.

I ordered the M10 292 cam # 002.01.920-01 along with (8) valve springs (#000202090 X 8). Turner's part numbers match the ones in the Schrick technical catalog. I needed new springs anyway but did not want to go with dual springs since I do not plan to rev the engine too high.

Jim

Jim Gerock

Kind of surprised nobody picked up on a small mistake in the box of parts I received from Korman. They accidently shipped (2) exhaust shafts (PN 11330634105) instead of (1) intake and (1) exhaust.

Will exchange for the correct intake one (PN ending in 4100) during a business trip to NC this week.

IMG_8521_zps8984b20c.jpg

Jim Gerock