• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002ti wannabe project begins

jgerock

After going for a great ride in MLytle's M2 (even stopped to admire a '73 Agave Automatic 2002 in a nearby neighborhood), we loaded up his engine hoist and pressure washer for me to use.

Engine was just about ready - simple pulling

IMG_7146.jpg

Engine bay (will post an after pic later)

IMG_7144.jpg

IMG_7145.jpg

Then we pushed the car into my driveway and I attacked it with the pressure washer. I got soaked head to toe including my shoes. Neighbors gave me strange looks while they cautiously drove thru the dirt and sludge-infested water draining across the street.

IMG_7147.jpg

Front end first

IMG_7148.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

Tranny, wheels and some other parts next

IMG_7152.jpg

Then the rear end

IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7157.jpg

I then pushed it back into the garage and sprayed the engine

IMG_7158.jpg

IMG_7159.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

Forecast is for rain - hope so to help wash the nastiness off the driveway and street.

Next up: Trying to bring back some shine to the paint.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On a strange note, I just received a box of (4) Solex PHH carburetors for $ 100.00. Turns out, a military person who knows MLytle spoke of once having a 2002 and some spare carbs in storage.

Two look like they are from a 2002ti (need to check venturis) and the other two do not have chokes and have straight air horns. Is one set from a Neu Klasse? Note the banjo fuel inlet fittings on the ones with choke plates and angled air horns.

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7182.jpg

IMG_7181.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

Jim Gerock

While removing the coolant hoses from the engine, I noticed it had these strange slim hose clamps with blue colored screw housings.

They are ABA clamps made in Sweden

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7176.jpg

I found this website showing ABA (of America) hose clamps.

http://www.ultimategarage.com/abaprice.html

I did not see a BMW Roundel stamped on them and thought most clamps used on these engines were made by Norma.

Jim Gerock

The ABA clamps are not original/OE. I'll have some pictures of the correct early clamp styles for your car this week.

The early filler neck boot is available new and they're cheaper than the later ones. And yes, that's the early/Euro tank vent setup before the evaporative emissions setups were required.

By the fuzz on the trans drain plug it looks like the gear oil hadn't been changed out in a long while. That amount of metal is slightly more than normal.

That car is coming out really clean, What a nice specimen! You planning on only a bit of bodywork, paint touch up, or the whole thing?

Headed off to the Vintage VW Meet at Kelly park in San Jose today with cousin Matt and will meet up with Danny Echeverry among others. You'll see the pictures soon enough. I love hunting vintage lights and license plate frames at the swap meet there. Here's an album from '07.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/tjones02_bucket/VW%20stuff/Kelly%20Park%20Vintage%20VW%202007/?start=0

Tom Jones

BMW mechanic for over 25 years, BMWCCA since 1984
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 585k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

LOL...think the only thing left holding the engine in was a shock cord. might have taken us 5 min total to pull it out....including setting up the hoist!

gotta love high pressure water! looks good with 50lbs less of arizona dirt on it! the pouring rain today should wash the evidence off the driveway and street nicely....

2xM3

Jim, I have to say I am really impressed with your quick progress on your project - it is going to be really cool I think. You must have a great wife, no kids and a finished house to be able to plow through that much work that quickly. Makes my 10 year effort on my car seem pretty pathetic. by the way you also get an A+ for your photography.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Must be something about working on the paint on old cars during a rainy day.

Used the random orbital buffer with orange foam pad and Griot's Machine polish # 2 on the deck lid and roof. Deck lid has a coat of Meguire's Car Cleaner/Wax just for grins.

IMG_7184.jpg

IMG_7183.jpg

Then used some polish on the rear section and left side

IMG_7185.jpg

IMG_7192.jpg

IMG_7191.jpg

Did more cleaning in the engine compartment/fender tops and cowl

IMG_7186.jpg

IMG_7187.jpg

IMG_7188.jpg

IMG_7189.jpg

IMG_7190.jpg

After a quick lunch break, I messed with the sunroof. The right rear is too low.

IMG_7194.jpg

I pulled the inner panel and discovered the cable would not flip up the mechanism like the left side does. Maybe the cable is broken.

All good on the left

IMG_7199.jpg

Right side not working

IMG_7200.jpg

Left front

IMG_7201.jpg

Right front

IMG_7202.jpg

Possible index issue with the crank handle

IMG_7203.jpg

Started cleaning up the covers

IMG_7205.jpg

Clutch disc removed from 69 engine looks like it was dated from 1991.

IMG_7207.jpg

228 mm pressure plate

IMG_7209.jpg

Flywheel has bad ring gear

IMG_7210.jpg

Jim Gerock

Jim, I have to say I am really impressed with your quick progress on your project - it is going to be really cool I think. You must have a great wife, no kids and a finished house to be able to plow through that much work that quickly. Makes my 10 year effort on my car seem pretty pathetic. by the way you also get an A+ for your photography.

www.alpinabmw2002.com

Thanks for the kind words Mark. I am blessed with a very understanding wife who supports my car hobby. She is a small business owner and is jealous of my weekend time away from work. No kids (but have two cats) and we have been in the same townhouse since Y2K.

I have been inspired by the fantastic work by others here (too many to mention!).

As far as my photography, the camera I use in the garage is a little Canon Powershot - I consider myself a beginner when it comes to taking pictures (always room for improvement).

Jim Gerock

Wow Jim, you definitely scored on those carbs! I paid much more for 2 (although with original air cleaner).

Loving this progress. I might email you soon about what jets you use for the Solex's.

-Matt

'68 Caribe 1600-1563167

I keep thinking back to the CL ad that said this car was in "good running condition". Must have been at least 10 years ago. I knew I was in for a good laugh when I had a really hard time extracting the head bolts. The ones close to cylinder # 4 were the toughest to get out. There is still (1) near the distributor that refuses to come out of the head cavity.

The water pump didn't look too bad on this one.

IMG_7218.jpg

IMG_7216.jpg

IMG_7220.jpg

IMG_7222.jpg

IMG_7223.jpg

IMG_7225.jpg

IMG_7227.jpg

IMG_7228.jpg

IMG_7230.jpg

# 3 Cylinder bore looks the best

IMG_7224.jpg

Jim Gerock

More piddling done this morning. Removed the starter, engine mount brackets, air (smog) pump bracket with integral dipstick mount, oil filter housing, chain tensioner and the coolant block drain plug.

IMG_7231.jpg

I don't like what I can see inside the lower end

IMG_7232.jpg

Tensioner guide is broken

IMG_7237.jpg

Tensioner is worn

IMG_7238.jpg

Sopped up the nasty fluids from the cylinders and have sprayed some Liquid Wrench in the bores.

IMG_7235.jpg

Met up with the new 1600ti owner today (along with MLytle and Bill Riblett) and purchased this never installed Stahl header.

IMG_7239.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

IMG_7242.jpg

Later today, met up with Clay W. at MLytle's house and got back my old Ansa muffler along with a 2nd one pulled from a salvaged 2002. Cleanup is definitely needed.

IMG_7247.jpg

Jim Gerock