• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002ti wannabe project begins

jgerock

Long time between posts!  I've been super busy with work and the time change doesn't help when trying to work outside.

Did some rearranging in the garage today and put some completed things away so they wouldn't be in the way.

Installed the tranny shift shaft seal, AKG motorsports tower mounts, shift tower and assembled the shifter as well as I could.  Used some of the shifter parts removed from the tii when I upgraded that car to a 5 speed along with some great used parts from Rob @ 2002Haus. I still need the (2) M8 bolts that secure the tower to the front mounts.  The stainless ones I purchased from a local hardware store are too long and will interfere with the guibo. Final assembly will include blue Loctite on the bolts and some grease on the shifter cup bushings.

IMG_9165_zps60877257.jpg

IMG_9166_zpsece7532b.jpg

The dual position circlip pliers I purchased from Sears work great.  Just flip the lever to go from inside to outside clips.

IMG_9167_zps7486f3ae.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Picked up some clear vinyl tubing for the front sunroof drains today from Lowe's.   Thanks to Keith Kreeger for the specs.  Unfortunately, Lowe's did not have the 1/2" I.D. hose for the rear drains.

IMG_9176_zps5439343c.jpg

Pulled the left rocker trim and LF fender off the car and cleaned up some of the dirt.

IMG_1266_zps87ff1db9.jpg

IMG_1268_zps5e2406e5.jpg

I measured the LF sunroof drain length as it exits the A-pillar 

IMG_9170_zps2cad8c13.jpg

Some minor rust issues at the base of the LF fender

IMG_9172_zps6e5c19ce.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like a greenish tint primer at the upper fender joint

IMG_9168_zps4d20360c.jpg

Guess these are the old style rocker trim clips - they certainly held the trim on tight

IMG_9174_zpsb7839f3e.jpg

Jim Gerock

• 2 weeks later...

Finally back in the garage today.  Last weekend I removed the passenger side fender.  Moved the 71 engine off my lift table then brought out the 72tii cylinder head to begin installing the new (Schrick single) valve springs, cam and rocker arms/shafts.  Not sure of a couple things:

I'm reusing the existing spring base cups, retainers and locks on the new springs. Other than a close inspection and cleaning the old parts, are there any additional steps I should take before assembling the springs?  I thought I would check the free length of each spring, but maybe that isn't necessary..

Is there any benefit to having the existing spring cups and retainers cadmium plated (other than the bling factor)?

IMG_1304_zpsef5b2056.jpg

The new rocker arms (febi brand) I purchased from Korman have a casting line on the bottom.  Should I smooth those off with a Dremel tool - or leave them alone?

The new rocker arm shafts (febi brand) have plugs already installed. One shaft has hex head plugs. Should I remove these plugs and use red Loctite on them or leave them alone?

Prior to installing the # 1 intake spring, I notice it is very close to the fuel pump block-off bolt threads. These are the same bolts that came on the engine (pump rod hole is plugged).

IMG_1305_zpsfbee591d.jpg

I'm going to try and use this spring compressor tool.  Any tips?  Not sure if I need to put something on the valve head to protect it from the ratcheting bar of the tool.

IMG_1306_zps1d7ca19c.jpg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

The ratcheting bar isn't too much of a problem as long as you center it on the valve but you need to use an adaptor of some kind on top of the valve spring, the walls of the cylinder head get in the way.  I took a short section of steel pipe and made a window on either side so I could get a magnet in there to grab the retainers and it works pretty well, it is a little more work getting the retainers back on if you have clumsy fingers (as I do)

74 Golf

The ratcheting bar isn't too much of a problem as long as you center it on the valve but you need to use an adaptor of some kind on top of the valve spring, the walls of the cylinder head get in the way.  I took a short section of steel pipe and made a window on either side so I could get a magnet in there to grab the retainers and it works pretty well, it is a little more work getting the retainers back on if you have clumsy fingers (as I do)

Thanks for the tips.  I was wondering if the top side would clear the head.  Will look around for a piece of pipe or old socket to modify. I wonder if a cheap 02 sensor socket would work???

Jim Gerock

you can use a regular socket to get the valve out by just sticking a pick in there from the top and knocking the retainers off but it is impossible (unless you are one of those ship in a bottle builders) to put it back together without some sort of cutaway, I never thought of an O2 sensor socket, that is a pretty good idea. 

I originally used a band saw and die grinder to make a spacer and a welder/fabricator buddy of mine saw it and felt sorry for me haha, he took a a scrap of pipe and clamped it in his Bridgeport machine and made a much prettier one in about 2 minutes.

74 Golf

• 2 weeks later...

Sourced a new valve spring compressor from Amazon.com after reading the reviews.  This is one heavy tool - only $ 43.00.

IMG_9177_zps3e92997f.jpg

IMG_9183_zps33aa34e6.jpg

IMG_9178_zpsdf78a61c.jpg

This tool comes with (2) different size "heads".  The smaller one worked better for me since it cleared the edge of the cylinder head.  This picture shows the larger head before I switched them.

IMG_9179_zps43c20daf.jpg

I used a pocket screwdriver with magnet in the end to position the locks, then used a small flat blade screwdriver to get them in the proper position.

Remembering the days of VW cylinder head work I used a rubber mallet and wood dowel to tap the completed spring to ensure the locks were seated.

IMG_9181_zps47d1e8e5.jpg

Springs are in

IMG_9184_zpsc9c45725.jpg

New hardware from Walloth Nesch

IMG_9185_zps24fad641.jpg

Positioned the (2) rocker arm shafts after looking at another cylinder head.  The shaft plugs are in very tight so I won't mess with trying to remove them and applying some red Loctite.

IMG_9187_zps216e5490.jpg

IMG_9186_zps42a5791f.jpg

The Blue Book shows their removal from the back of the head so I'll drive them in from the front (maybe tomorrow).  Weird how the factory manual does not show many details of the valvetrain - maybe BMW was certain owners would have this type of work done by a "professional". 

Jim Gerock

Wow Jim.  Head assembly already?  

One thing you might consider before you install the rocker shafts.  Have you thought about using rocker keepers instead of springs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMW-2002-Rocker-Arm-Locks-for-M10-M30-/271349290995?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2dad97f3&vxp=mtr

This is an upgrade that I did when I assembled the head that I had a ton of machine work done on.  It's supposed to be better because there isn't the tension from the spring adding friction to the valve train. 

Also - BMW made a special tool for installing camshafts.  CD posted a picture of it way back.  I'm sure you've seen it.  It allows the camshaft to just slip in.  

I didn't have that.  Getting the camshaft into the head was a lot of work.

Good Luck.

Ken

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

Wow Jim.  Head assembly already?  

One thing you might consider before you install the rocker shafts.  Have you thought about using rocker keepers instead of springs?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMW-2002-Rocker-Arm-Locks-for-M10-M30-/271349290995?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f2dad97f3&vxp=mtr

This is an upgrade that I did when I assembled the head that I had a ton of machine work done on.  It's supposed to be better because there isn't the tension from the spring adding friction to the valve train. 

Also - BMW made a special tool for installing camshafts.  CD posted a picture of it way back.  I'm sure you've seen it.  It allows the camshaft to just slip in.  

I didn't have that.  Getting the camshaft into the head was a lot of work.

Good Luck.

Ken

I have been thinking about getting those shaft locks (most likely from I.E.) - I don't have plans to flog this engine.    One thing I purchased a couple years ago was the cam removal/install tool from Rob @ 2002Haus.  

Jim Gerock

With your Febi rockers new stock stuff for mounting is just fine. I don't see any benefit using the rocker locks in this setup.

Thanks Tommy. Would you recommend I smooth the parting/casting line on the underside of the new rocker arms?  I am tempted to go ahead and do this before assembly.

Jim Gerock

Continued with the cylinder head assembly today - almost 70 degrees F. on the first day of Winter!

New rocker arms look like this on the bottom

IMG_9189_zpse2884a6f.jpg

A few minutes with the Dremel tool

IMG_9192_zpsf26fa78a.jpg

Next up was installing the rocker shafts and valvetrain.

IMG_9195_zpsbcae94a9.jpg

IMG_9196_zpse714ee3c.jpg

IMG_9197_zpsb4743fa9.jpg

Per the Blue Book, the spring, washer, rocker arm and spacer go in a certain orientation.

d18fb93c-5f92-47f7-83e4-a678d2b260c7_zps

I could not see from the Blue Book about this >> the spacer has an indentation in one side

223b0583-3b2a-4a20-9388-c4b2372e0d76_zps

The circlip which holds the rocker in place is partially hidden by the spacer.  Luckily I had a spare complete cylinder head to refer to.

IMG_9204_zps35aea433.jpg

The rocker shafts have detents for the head bolts - get them in wrong and you won't be able to insert the head bolts.  The front of the shafts also have detents for the cam lock plate.

IMG_9201_zpsa1923c32.jpg

Picture taken prior to installing the circlips

IMG_9200_zps9d4ce671.jpg

Next up was getting the Schrick 292 cam installed.  I pulled out my cam tool (from 2002Haus) and noticed the valve cover studs did not protrude enough to start the supplied nuts.  A quick call to Rob Torres and Marshall Lytle ended up driving over so we could use his bar clamps to apply enough pressure to get the nuts started.

IMG_9205_zpsa5ad03fb.jpg

After some careful tightening of the tool frame (checking the valve heads multiple times!) we were able to slide the cam in place.  # 2 intake and # 1 exhaust rocker caused the most trouble.

IMG_9211_zps975a9117.jpg

Interesting intake rocker shaft on my spare 71  121ti cylinder head.

IMG_9209_zps27086716.jpg

Have to deal with an issue with one of the two cam lockplate bolts - but I'm pretty much done with the cylinder head. Feels good!  Thanks again to Rob and Marshall.

Jim Gerock

the key to getting the tool frame down enough without the valves hitting each other was to crank down on the intake side first.  this pushed the intake valves down before the exhaust valves allowing more clearance between the valve heads...or just enough for the rockers to clear the cam lobes.  flipping the head numerous times during the evolution to make sure a piece of paper could fit between the valve heads was important.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3