tii q's

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Where is the best place to mount the electric fuel pump?

and

What are most people doing about the thermo-time switch. and how do you wire it up manually?

I am guessing you just run a wire to the solenoid on the intake horn and to a switch mounted in the driver area.

Thanks

F.

Guest Anonymous

Some mount aftermarket fuel pumps in the trunk near the tank, and some mount in the original tii pump area under the car in front of the rear cross member.

You're correct about the cold start circuit. Wire to the cold start injector and a switch near the driver. I never used the rear window defroster on mine, so I used that switch for the "prime" circuit. The last tii I drove had a momentary switch mounted on the left side of the steering column, opposite the ignition.

Guest Anonymous

If you are comfortable enough with electronics repair. Go through the test procedure in McCartneys resto guide- really good. If the repair is out, I think Curt Ingraham over at Silicon Garage may have some for sale.

If you DO wire a switch, make sure to use a momemtary ON switch. That way you can not forget and leave the switch on.

For the fuel pump, tii's are mounted underneath the trunk above the half shafts. If you are converting a non-tii to tii specs, I would search around and try to find a mounting bracket from a donor car. A 320i MAY also work. Either way, invest in new rubber mounts for the pump.

Guest Anonymous

So then if you have a button on your steering column for the cold start injector and you press it at WOT will you have more go?

-Jaycen

72 tundra tii w/ (a functioning cold start injector thermo time switch)

72 agave 2002

Guest Anonymous

I'm FAR from an expert on this system.

From what I can gather from McCartneys book and the old tii register newsletters is that the car will just run a little rich.

One thought is that dumping all that raw fuel that far away from the combustion chambers might not be good. More chance for it to ignite outside of the cylinders? Or am I just stupid? Of course I could be right and still be stupid!

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

My cold start "switch" is a button on the steering column opposite the ignition. As others have noted,it is best to have a switch/button that requires activation each time used and reverts to off when not pushed, etc. I have seen fuel pumps in the trunk: they seem more accessible than the stock position.