• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diesel conversion, VW TDI 1.9 ALH

couttsdesign

Installing the electronics up under the dashboard?

Yes, I think so. I haven't tackled the electronics yet, but I imagine I will need to put the ECU somewhere on the firewall behind the center console.

you could put it where i did. behind false floor in pass footwell front.

see page 7&9 of my build thread for details.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,345762/postdays,0/postorder,asc/topic_view,/start,180/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,345762/postdays,0/postorder,asc/topic_view,/start,240/

2xM3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rear end fab isn't very difficult. For the halfshafts you just need the later 02 style with 1980+ e21 or e30 inboard tripods. It fits perfect

Manimal, can you get in touch with me at Couttsdesign@yahoo.com. I'm trying to figure out how you did your halfshafts. I'm not sure what you mean by "later 02 style" axles??

Where I'm at now, I have both e30 and 2002 half shafts and I tried putting the e30 inboard cv joint on the 2002 axle. It was too big and would not engage the splines at all.

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

I love the VW ALH engine. There's not much I honestly like about modern VW's aside from how frequently they break and hom much money I can make repairing them, but the ALH diesel is a great little engine. If I were going to diesel an '02 I'd be trying to mimic your work. Neato!

Budweiser...It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Avatar photo courtesy K. Kreeger, my2002tii.com ©

I love the VW ALH engine. There's not much I honestly like about modern VW's aside from how frequently they break and hom much money I can make repairing them, but the ALH diesel is a great little engine. If I were going to diesel an '02 I'd be trying to mimic your work. Neato!

I couldn't agree more. The ALH is right there on the cusp of modern technology and DIY tinkering backyard mechanic. Dude, it's got Piezoelectronic fuel injectors....that's some cool ass technology right there! After the ALH, VW diesels started to get just a bit too expensive and/or technical. However, I think they are all still great engines, just too hard to swap into other cars.

I love how you can play around with tunes, injectors, and turbos to get various combinations of serious performance with no to little effect on economy.

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

HOLY AWESOME! The fabrication ability you have shown is beyond words, I thought I had it nice with my welding tables and water jet back at school but damn I would love to see the rest of that shop! As for the car, are you going to stiffen or join the unibody and front and rear subframes at all to try and counter the torqe of that new engine? As Manimal said if you ever need FSAE type help look here as well, while not as high end as GFR, but me and my Navy team held our own this past year. Those shafts you made look beautiful by the way!

-Chris

• 2 weeks later...
HOLY AWESOME! The fabrication ability you have shown is beyond words, I thought I had it nice with my welding tables and water jet back at school but damn I would love to see the rest of that shop! As for the car, are you going to stiffen or join the unibody and front and rear subframes at all to try and counter the torqe of that new engine? As Manimal said if you ever need FSAE type help look here as well, while not as high end as GFR, but me and my Navy team held our own this past year. Those shafts you made look beautiful by the way!

-Chris

Thanks for the compliments...but I must give credit where credit is due. Those half shafts were made by Ken in Oregon for the 02 Haus E30 differential swap kit. These guys are true craftsmen and the product they offer is AMAZE-BALLS! Top notch stuff.

As far as stiffening the body goes, I'm not really sure because I don't know how far I want to go with upgrades to the engine. The mods I have in mind would put the HP/torque in the neighborhood of 150/250. Please let me know if you have any suggestions for stiffening the chassis which are not too invasive or involved....I not into a big roll cage or anything like that.

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

in regards to stiffening the body - i am going to reinforce underneath the car by joining the front and rear subframes via some 1x2 steel bolted to the frames, and also secured to the body in several other places from front to back. the seams will also all be stitch welded along the lower rockers and such to add stiffness as well. plus a back half cage (safety, not strength) as it will be bolt in.

i too plan to have a high torque/high hp engine...

1988 BMW 325 - M52 swapped - Hilde.

1969 BMW 2002 - Griselda - 20VT coming soon...

"project blog" - www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com

• 1 month later...
What were the advantages of using the Toyota transmission?

ACME adapter makes an adapter plate to link up the VW diesel to the Toyota transmission. AKAIK, it's the only commercially available adapter for the TDI to mount to a RWD transmission. Also, the Toyota W58 has a tall 5th gear which is good for keeping highway RPM's low. Someday, I'd like to fabricate an adapter plate for the Tremec/Borg Warner T5 transmission. This would be the BEST alternative as the T5 has many gear variations and is available with a 6 speed (T56). A six speed 2002 would be sweeeeet!

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

So it's been awhile since my last post. I've been working out the rear end e30 differential swap and I'm happy to say it's finally complete. I'll have to take some pics this weekend when the light is good, but for now here are some pics of the conversion. Enjoy....

After test fitting the first draft of the subframe, I decided to drop the diff about 20mm. this required the subframe to be notched out.

IMG_7337.jpg

IMG_7362.jpg

and the final product ready to be mounted in the car.

IMG_7364.jpg

IMG_7369.jpg

The E30 diff is about 20mm wider on each output flange compared to the stock 2002. Therefore, the halfshafts must be shortened. This can be achieved by swapping the inboard CV joint with a 79-83 E21 CV joint. The CV's must be 79-83 because they are thinner as you can see in this pic. Also, the E21 CV's use the correct 10mm bolts to mount to the E30 diff.

DSC06188.jpg

Bench test fitting everything together. Range of motion is perfect...absolutely no binding.

DSC06193.jpg

DSC06195.jpg

DSC06196.jpg

Here is my custom driveshaft. I used a company in Socal called Drivelines INC. They are AWESOME!! They came to my house, measured everything, took all my parts, and two days later delivered a nicely painted and balanced driveshaft ready to mounted in the car. Couldn't be easier. Highly recommended!

DSC05796.jpg

DSC05797.jpg

more pics of complete assembly mounted in the car coming soon.....

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...