• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diesel conversion, VW TDI 1.9 ALH

couttsdesign

Hello 02 enthusiasts. This is my first post but I have been a long time lurker. I am interested in the idea of putting a VW TDI (1.9 ALH) engine into a 2002. I have never seen a 2002 diesel swap so this is pretty much new territory.

Here are the basics of the swap I want to do:

-VW TDI 1.9 ALH engine code

-BMW getrag 245 5 speed

-rear diff something close to 3.0 ratio

From my research much of this swap seems doable, however, I am running into a wall concerning the gearing. In order to keep the RPM's down to diesel levels at highway speeds I would need to run a rear diff ratio somewhere around 3.0. So this is my question, Is it possible to run a low ratio diff, possibly from an e28 or e30, on the 2002 rear subframe??

Any other comments or questions are totally open for discussion....I'm still researching the possibility of this project so your collective wisdom is welcome!

BTW, my daily driver is a 2000 VW Golf TDi, and my fun car is a 73 3.0 CS...not quite a 2002 but close. For those who don't know, diesels kick ass and get 40 mpg (combined)!

Also, for those interested in other diesel swaps you can look here...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can run a diff from a e21 3 series. You will have to get spacers for your half shafts.

I am not 100% sure if this will work and-or work well, but I am going to use a LSD pumpkin from a small case e30 diff in my stock 2002 diff. I am having a friend machine a spacer to go between the diff and diff cover to allow for some more room in the diff.

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

Possibly steal a transmission from a AWD A4 or Passat, and then get a gearset from a UK diesel version of the car... A few drag folks have converted that transmission to RWD which may make things easier for the 2002 platform.

I too come from the VAG world and have been tempted to transplant either an AWD drivetrain into a 1600, or to just use a 1.8t bolted to a BMW 5spd..

2003 vw GTI

bmw 2002 hopeful

I've toyed with stuffing a Cummins 4bt into a 2002 but the stroke is WAY too long....

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 9 months later...

Hey guys, It's been awhile since I've updated this build thread but I have been making progress and I've recently reached a milestone...engine and transmission mounted in the car.

DSC05601.jpg

DSC05602.jpg

DSC05630.jpg

For the time being I will be posting mostly on the TDIclub forum mainly because I am still working out mechanical and electrical issues that I need their expertise with. Please follow using the link...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=359959

Thanks for your interest and please post any comments, questions, criticisms either here or on the TDI forum as I will be checking both regularly.

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

Interesting swap. How are you doing the fuel supply for the diesel? Possibly use a tii tank? Are you going to use the fuel pump and filtration from a TDI?

Installing the electronics up under the dashboard?

How is the engine/transmission package weight compared to a stock 2002?

What about the speedometer?

The engine looks a little high compared to the top of the radiator. Have you test fit the hood to see if it clears?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

interesting...

you mention on the other forum that you have more pics in your photobucket account - care to post the link?

1988 BMW 325 - M52 swapped - Hilde.

1969 BMW 2002 - Griselda - 20VT coming soon...

"project blog" - www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com

Interesting swap. How are you doing the fuel supply for the diesel? Possibly use a tii tank? Are you going to use the fuel pump and filtration from a TDI?

The TDI injection pump acts as a fuel pump essentially pulling fuel from the tank. All I need to do is replace all fuel lines with new, diesel grade fuel line. I could also run an inline fuel pump which will help to feed the injection pump, but it's not necessary.

Installing the electronics up under the dashboard?

Yes, I think so. I haven't tackled the electronics yet, but I imagine I will need to put the ECU somewhere on the firewall behind the center console.

How is the engine/transmission package weight compared to a stock 2002?

I addressed this question on the TDIclub page...but basically, I think they are similar when considering all accessories being deleted.

What about the speedometer?

Speedo is still unresolved. Plan 1: the Toyota W58 transmission I am using does have a speedo cable. I will try to mate the toyota cable to the BMW cable and see how the speedo works. I'm not expecting this to be very accurate. Plan2: Run an aftermarket pickup and speedo.

The engine looks a little high compared to the top of the radiator. Have you test fit the hood to see if it clears?

Yes hood clears, but not a lot of clearance.

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

In stock form, The ALH diesel puts out 90hp and 155ft/lbs torque. The mods I plan on will put the figures more like 150hp/250torque.....yet will still get 50+MPG!! Of course, if driven like a maniac, MPG's will suffer...only 35 MPG.:)

here's my planned mods:

-RC tune stage 2 or 3

-Bosio DLC 1019 nozzles

-11mm injection pump

-stock VNT15 turbo (for now)

-cheap ebay FMIC

-2" intercooler piping

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI

The TDI injection pump acts as a fuel pump essentially pulling fuel from the tank. All I need to do is replace all fuel lines with new, diesel grade fuel line. I could also run an inline fuel pump which will help to feed the injection pump, but it's not necessary.

I wasn't aware the TDI injection pump acted all by itself to pull fuel from the tank. Won't you still need a return line back to the tank?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

TDI's fitted with the Bosch VE injection pump (ALH engine code, 1999.5-2003 Golf's, Jetta's and New Beatles) did not have an inline fuel pump. The next generation was known as "PD" (2004-2006) and had a different injection system. The PD cars DID have an in tank fuel pump that supplied low pressure fuel to the injectors.

My 1975 2002 has a fuel line that supplies fuel through the interior of the car and a hard return line underneath the car. I was planning on replacing the entire length of supply line with good diesel rated fuel line and just using the return line as is.

Is this common to have a separate supply and return line on 2002's...I thought only TII's had a return line??? I recently bought and sold a 1975 automatic, exactly like my project car, and it also had a return line.

1973 3.0 CS sahara

2000 VW Golf TDI