Can I remove my sunroof?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone out there has removed and filled in their factory sunroof. If so how hard was the job, how did you go about it, and how did the results come out. I've had too many leaky roofs in too many cars to keep putting up with this...

Thanks in advance!

-E

Guest Anonymous

Best bet would be to get a roof panel form a non-sunroof car and have a very qualified body shop cut the old roof and install the donor.

Guest Anonymous

I would think that you could just close it and run a weld around the whole thing, then grind smooth. The question is why, sunroofs are very nice to have, and don't leak if taken care of. I live in Oregon, and it rains 10 months out of the year here, I have no sunroof seals and it does not leak. The drains are more than large enough to take care of anything, but they can become clogged, and then your sunroof will leak. Yes, I know I should replace my seals, but it is low on the priority list, I am just trying to prove a point.

Good luck!

Jeff C.

70 Granada 2002 sunroof MS EFI

66 Turf 2000a

Guest Anonymous

Just kidding Man.

A low cost and easily reversable option is to remove the front and rear seals, close the sunroof, and then lay in a bead of silicone from the outside.

That should seal it up just fine. Later if you wanted the sunroof, slice it open and replace the seals.