front strut brace recommendations wanted

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

For a tii, is there any consensus feeling about the strut brace from Ireland Engineering compared to the Top End Performance strut/engine torque brace? I realize this is very subjective. From searching archives it looks like the Ireland unit is well respected while opinions vary widely on the Top End Performance brace from the best available to junk. The car is otherwise running HD Bilsteins, H&R springs, and uprated sway bars. Are there other strut braces that should be considered?

Thanks,

Gary

Guest Anonymous

The top end brace is by far a more robust and better engineered product for a 30 year old unibody like a 2002 but their productions is pretty weak especially for the value that is why I made my own based on their design.

Guest Anonymous

The TEP unit is a great design, but their execution is not consistently good. Mine is functional and fit fine, but isn't the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I've heard that some have had fitment problems, but this could be due to twisted unibodies as much as to poor quality control on the brace.

Guest Anonymous

hey Gary,

I like the ireland unit. but you really should have an engine brace as well. the tep unit worked fine for a street car and was triangulated and had the engine brace. but if you dont mind machining a bracket for the engine brace on the ireland bar id go for that. cheaper too.

Cory

Guest Anonymous

that's what i've heard. talking to quite a few guys you'll feel it much more and it'll be a bigger bang for the buck. Personally i dunno how much 'fun' getting into the engine bay w/the strut bar like irelands in the way...

unless of course you droped the m3 engine in there or are getting mad horsepower and the body of the car's twisting around like a rubber band...

-dave

21mm swaybar up front and hopefully by the end of the weekend 19mm in the back...=)

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Dave.

Already have the beefier sway bars like you are adding. Plus I even already have the M3 (78K original miles) but wouldn't dream of taking the engine out of the well-balanced chassis it already is in.

Gary

Guest Anonymous

Open up the hood of a 2002 chances are it is showing some cracking or at least signs of impending cracks where the nose joins the inner fender, only one things causes that body flex.

Guest Anonymous

The 02 is by no means a solid platform for

increased sway bar sizes. The 02 chassis bends

and twists like nobody's business. The larger sway

bar you put in, the more chassis flex you will have.

Assuming you have no front stress bar try this:

Park the car on level concrete and measure the

distance between the inner most strut top mount

bolts (side to side across the engine bay).

Remember that measurement. Now jack up the

car from the middle of the sub frame and measure

again. You will see anything from .25"-.5" more

distance than first measurement. And, consider

that this is only one axis of movement, the whole

car twists when cornering.

If you really want to shock yourself, measure from

the left rear corner to the right front corner while on

level grond. Then jack one of the corners of the car

up and take that same measurement. When you lift

the car by one corner you can almost see the roof

buckle! Also, try opening one of the doors while the

car is jacked up on one corner.

The best way to eliminate chassis flex is a full roll

cage. Sans cage, the best way to brace the front

end would be through means of an X-brace. I'm

working on a design right now. I'll see what it does

and let you all know.

Ethan

Guest Anonymous

standard.jpg

and i think either BMP or Bav. Autosport catalogues show a 2002tii specific brace too. Interesting observation about old BMWs w/o strut braces: friend who raced a 1972 Bavaria in One Lap of America race this year , and who did not use a strut brace, noted he could see the fender/hood gap changing due to flex. He is definately adding a strut brace to the car for its next adventure. I felt a positive difference when i had my brace made for my Sahara ( before I knew I could buy a brace that cleared OEM air cleaner- previous engine). My A4 came with a strong brace of unknown origin (shown - it has angle up to clear airbox).///

Guest Anonymous

It is made from what feels like electrical conduit. That thing has very very little strength. Also, I think that engine brace thing is pretty junky as well. I have one and strenghened it by welding on more steel. Get Ireland's strut brace and their urethane engine mounts. Those engine mounts are the thing to have. Only thing I've known to control the engine shakes.