black slats in grilles - proper installation?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.marsmann.com/2002tii/

Hi,

Just curious as to how the black slats in the early chrome-like grilles are supposed to be attached. The ones on my old grille never used to come off, but I never checked to really see how they were on.

The new ones on my new grille constantly fall out. I can just glue them on in some way but I want to know how they are supposed to go on exactly. Do they get crimped?

TIA

Guest Anonymous

From what I can tell from my grills on the cars, and the extras, BMW just glued on the slat covers. I dont see any crimping. Where did you get your covers- I need some. Thanks///

Guest Anonymous

The ones we used to get with the slats (this was the mid 1990s) had the slats held on with what appeared to be a CLEAR semi-flexible caulking (silicone? who knows?)

I used clear silicone on mine, and so far (fingers crossed) they're holding on VERY well, and the flexability of the silicone should prevent any cracking, breaking off of the adhesive, etc.

Guest Anonymous

...a craft project.

You don't need to glue them on if you have, say, about 9 or so grill badges.

Does that help?

:)

Delia Wolfe

'73tii

Inka (aka "Julius")

Guest Anonymous

not that Paul's posts need any support. :-)

I used clear silicone on mine--I ran three 2 inch beads of goo between the back edge of each black slat and the chrome grill slat--and they are holding fine after a year an a half.

Lee

Guest Anonymous

that appear to be original (sandblasted, but original) - there's a little punch mark on each end of the underside of each cover that appears to "register" the cover into it's slat - they're extremely uniform, and appear to be machine done. In addition, each cover was glued on with what looks like 3M "gorilla snot" yellow Trim Adhesive, and all of them are still on real tight.