cleaning engine parts in petrol

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i cleaned my con rods in unleaded petrol yesterday as stated in haynes... it seems to have made them go a funny shade of brown (looks kinda like surface rust... but not quite?) is this normal? i hope i havent done anything wrong....

also, i flushed out the water galleries of my block and got an awful lot of crap out.... looked like coarse white sand and flaky rust.... anyway, is there anything i can do to the insides of the galleries to help them along? can really get in there with a wire brush....

other than that the re-build is going swimmingly.

cheers

george

Guest Anonymous

you can clean that off with alcohol, but then go over them with motor oil lightly. The brown prob won't hurt anything, just make your first oil change a little dirtier. Not sure about the water passages, I've seen round bristle brushes for engine cleaning that were pretty long, or just go to your local sporting goods and look for a flexible cleaning rod for a rifle and use large swabs/rags with it. It's like a coated cable and usually around 50" long with a handle at one end and a eye for patches/rags on the other... just don't leave anything up in there... : )

Good luck with it, I'm starting to tear down my second engine soon now that the first one is running.

Guest Anonymous

i love this stuff... this is my first engine and its so much easier than i expected.... i am getting the block bored out and squared up tomorrow and getting new pistons (9.5:1) and rings and all bearings +a complete seals and gaskets kit....

tested my oil pump tolerances and it is still within factory specs....

should have the bottom end back together and ready for balancing on the weekend....

then its time for the head! arghhhhh.

Guest Anonymous

it leaves them much cleaner than petrol. I would have the block hot tanked to get rid of all the crud. Besides we don't have petrol in the States, we have to use gasoline ;)