crazy problem this weekend

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i was driving home and one of my rear drive axles decided to detach itself from the differential. i rebuilt all the cv joints last summer, and i was wondering if there was any way any of the bolts could back all the way out unstripped. two of them were broken in half, one bent horribly, and the other three mangled up. but oddly, none of the threads were stripped out at all. so i was wondering if they could have backed out or if i should start looking for someone who would take so much effort to f up my car. thanks.

Guest Anonymous

this happened to my car a couple of years ago. i think a couple of them started to back out, sheared off, and that brought the whole house down. i put everything in (with all NEW bolts), used loctite, and haven't had any problems since. if you torque everything, use new hardware, and use loctite, they should stay in there through just about anything.

Guest Anonymous

Just happened to me a couple weeks ago. Thankfully mine decided to go in my driveway. Same deal - backed out bolts, not stripped. I did the same as the other posters below - clean, new bolts, blue Loctite. I went the extra mile and did all 24 of the bolts. Tightened with torque wrench. I will be checking these occasionally just to be sure nonetheless.

Guest Anonymous

if there is any play / in-out movement of half shaft and diff. then you need a spacer to fill the gap and decrease the movement there. That may have contributed to your seperation. Locktight and proper torque on the bolts are essential. I just bought a pair of spacers and 12 long 10mm bolts to avoid this situation on my tii. Cost was $48.00 from 2002AD. I need the spacers because I have a 3.90 diff. and I have movement. When you go to re-assemble, see if there is any in/out movement. Good luck.///