• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

golfyellowrobs official project blog: 74/02

golfyellowrob

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definetely should have an 02 meet up in central oregon someday.

I'm not sure I've seen your blue 02 but last winter I saw a dude in a sahara colored 2002 driving in the snow before then even plowed... that was cool. There are at least 2 saharas in bend, one tii and one regular 02

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square

Ive seen 4 or 5 around, including a dark met. Brown square light, a very pretty white roundie, a two tone blue silver tii, a guard red square light, a silver roundie, and the sahara you mentioned. Nice to see the progress your making, it gives me motivation to continue the bodywork on mine. Are you going to paint it yourself?

so i have made some progress on the car the last couple days. nothing huge, just more bodywork. the primer isnt dry in the pictures, but i promise all the beltline holes are nice and perfect.

here are a couple pics....

and a random picture of my 5 month old puppy with his old hunting vest on which is too tight...just for kicks.

1318174204.jpg

1318174248.jpg

the sad view from outside my garage(the white hood is a e36 328i (wifes)

1318174355.jpg

1318174356.jpg

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square

Ken, we will definately have to get together to see my car, just let me get my body work better and done so i dont have to feel embarassed, haha.

I have an update, really chuggin along on bodywork. when i realized i was so focused on everything else, i noticed that i left the side mirror on.

for the next hour (really and hour) i tried every thing under the sun to get that damn set screw off from under the seal. it was stuck and wasnt going anywhere. soaked it, nothing. tried a wrench on the screw driver, broke the tips off of TWO of my snap on flatheads. then i resolved to look at it in a disgusted manner, again, nothing. so i got pissed and ripped it off. no joke. bad idea, but its off....

anyways, im looking for a new mirror, so if anyone knows anyone with a spare drivers mirror, let me know.

oh and annother random thing, my sunroof is kinda a piece of junk and the thing is all sorts of out of adjustment, so i am going to have a piece of glass cut and set into where the sunroof goes, and then i will make a headliner addition to make it look plush, but i think a smoked glass top would look pretty cool.

any opinions? anyone else give up on their sunroofs?

im not worried about it staying origional because i plan on taking this car to the grave.

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square

hey so i have done a bunch of the crappy areas and finished prepping them for paint except for the final primer spray, all the rest of the work should be alot better now to the finish.

got the car out of the garage to clean up my huge messes ive made.

took a couple pics, the last ones are of the car when i got it home. really should have driven in more than a block before i tore into it. haha

1318701461.jpg

1318701455.jpg

1318701458.jpg

1318701462.jpg

1318701459.jpg

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square

• 2 weeks later...

alright, so i got the left rear fender all fixed up right, the bondo was pulling away from the body from a previous repair. insetead of pulling the dent, they filled the whole thing with bondo, so i stripped it all off, pulled the dent and skimmed bondo over to smooth.

also, i have both of the sides 95% done, which are the hard parts, so now i just have the roof, the hood and trunk, a little more work on the front end, and the jams.

work on the car will pretty much stop this winter because the wife wants the garage for the start of snow this year, so im parking it in a family shop and epoxy coating the garage so its all nice for her. really cant wait to have a clean garage.

here's some pictures....

1319814051.jpg

1319814053.jpg

1319814056.jpg

1319814058.jpg

1319814060.jpg

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square

more progress, my car is one final sanding away from going into storage for the next couple months till i can afford to paint it.

and i removed the passenger and rear bench, and a curious thing, the backrest to the rear seat wasnt bolted down, and there was mouse poison under the seat along with a few dead mice. greeeat. well tommrrow im going to clean that all up and coat the metal.

quick question: How much do upholsters on average charge to do 2002 front seats?

a few pics...

1320382830.jpg

1320382828.jpg

1320382826.jpg

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square

So I'm debating on paint, it will be garaged with a car cover on it 99 percent of the time, so keeping with originality I'm thinking about doing singlestage paint. I have a buddy shooting the paint, so I won't have to worry about actual application. And also I'm thinking about adding a singlestage safe clear on top for more protection.

Any thoughts?

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square

update:

i spent about two hours scrubbing mice excrement and dead mice remains out from under my back seat. armed with a bottle of bleach cleaner and metal brushes from ace hardware i got for cheap, i cleaned it up.

1320851307.jpg

then i got my trunk all cleaned out in the same fashion. removed my gas tank and popped the top off of it and it looks surprisingly good in there.

coated everything and put it all back together. woo, im going to have covers over everything to keep the trunk clean so i never have to do that again....

1320852024.jpg

1320852021.jpg

1320852020.jpg

1320852018.jpg

1974 golf 2002

--------------------

it's sexy to be square