Overheating issue... might be different than others

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The car has the old stock rad, drives fine on all roads with speed limit under 50 mph. needle is consistant at around 3/4 o'clock position. Drive 5 mph over and after 10 min, the needle sky rockets uncomfortably to the redline. I am thinking it is the stinking old rad. I tried two different guage clusters thinking the needle might be kidding me...but on all guages it is the same issue. Should go change the rad or get an electric fan and install it behind the rad with manual switch and everytime I am on the freeway turn it on ?

Thanks

Guest Anonymous

A radiator shop will test your radiator for free. They aim an infrared temperature sensor at various locations while running hot water through it. It will pick up any clogged areas right away.

If you can get access to one of those testers, take your grills off and test it in the car.

Guest Anonymous

A radiator guy once told me, and it makes sense if you take it with a grain of salt*, overheating at speed indicates your cooling system is inefficient. Overheating at slow speeds is an airflow problem.

Since you're overheating at speed, I'd suspect it's a cooling efficiency problem. I'd try the following in order:

-Check your fluid level to ensure you have enough coolant.

-Check your fuel mixture to be sure you're not running lean at high rpms.

-Flush the system using a flush product (some flush products really do work).

-Heat your thermostat in a pan of water on your stove to check that it is fully opening. Someone should know the temperature at which it opens.

-Take your radiator to a radiator shop to be rodded out. As someone suggested, they may have an infrared temp gun to see if there's any blockage.

-Replace or re-core your radiator. Rodding it out doesn't always work b/c sometimes the radiator has lost efficiency in other ways.

* The grain of salt - your if you're overheating at slow speeds it could also be a cooling efficiency issue.

Guest Anonymous

2002 radiators do not stay filled completely up (they overflow when warm). A sealed cooling system helps. You can get a very cheap looking coolant overflow system at Autozone, etc., made by Intermatics,for about $5.00. Its probably not your problem, but it is the cheapest fix. I suspect one could make a better looking and higher quality system from a junkyard Volvo or ??? J. ENGLAND CCA# 0892 Indianapolis