Help me before I loose my patience and break something!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok, so here is the deal. I am going crazy. I am having the hardest time getting my car running correct so I can drive it on the road after I put on DCOE's.

So here is what I have done. I rebuilt the carbs myself, took them completely appart. They were pretty nasty, so I put them in paint thinner (to try and get the grease off, but I now realize I should have done carb cleaner, the big bucket). I used a dremel and wire brush bit to clean them once they were dry. Put them on my car with regular mounting gaskets and used top mount cable linkage. Hmmm, what else. I just put in an electric fuel pump with 2.5 psi regulator on it. The carbs have these internals:

Chokes: 30

Starter Jets: 100F5

Pump Jets: 40

Intake Discharge Valve: 50

Idleing jets: 50F8

Emulsion tube: F11

Main Jet: 115

Air corrector Jet: 190

Aux Venturi: 45

The engine is stock with a header and free flow exhaust. It has about 170,000 miles on it.

So here is what happens with the car. Runs fine when it is idling. Sounds good, seems to have no problems. If I push on the gas pedal though, it doesn't respond right away, kinda like it dives I guess you could say. Then If I take it out for a spin, it runs somewhat fine at really really low speeds, like a couple miles an hour, but then I try and go faster, and it is pretty much stuck at about 15 mph. It kinda sputters, like it isn't getting enough gas or something.

I really don't know what to do. I thought maybe the mech fuel pump I had on it was not working well enough, so I got the electric fuel pump, and it still has the same problems. Next weekend I am going to take the jets out and put them in carb cleaner hoping that the problem is that some of them are gunked up or something.

Please help me though. Summer is near, I havn't driven my car in a long time, and I need it to get to work this summer.

Thanks,

Bryan

red73

Guest Anonymous

What type of electric fuel pump are you using?

When i put my webbers on i used a standard pissy fuel pump & experienced similar problems, I had to install a high pressure efi fuel pump & a Tii fuel tank to fix it.

Though my engine uses a 290 cam

Guest Anonymous

First things first: if you haven't done so already, synchronize the carbs properly. If you haven't done this, nothing else you try will help. Make sure the linkage is properly adjusted as well.

Check float levels - very important. Make sure the jets are seated properly, but not too tight - you don't want to break anything. If you had the throttle plates off, you'll want to make sure these are installed correctly. Make sure the venturies are fully seated - if they are loose you'll have problems.

More details would be helpful. Pull your spark plugs to see what sort of condition you are running in - rich or lean. When you try to drive it are you getting smoke out the tailpipe? Did you reset your timing?

Try this stuff and post back with more details and we'll see if we an get the thing running.

Guest Anonymous

I don't want to insult you, but you didn't put the aux. venturies in backwards, did you? Easy to do, and this will prevent the main jet circuits from coming on line, which means that the motor will do just about what you are describing with any significant (>10%) throttle opening.

Also, 30mm chokes are pretty small for an 02... not that this would cause your problem if otherwise jetted OK.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

In the fuel filter that is between the fuel pump and the carbs (in the trunk), there seems to be an air bubble that i can't get out. I tried running the pump without being hooked up to the carbs, so it was just dumping the gas into a container, but this didn't solve it. Could this air bubble in the filter be causing it?

Bryan

red73