refurbishing door panels . . . .

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

any suggestions for paint to use on the chrome trim pieces on my door panels? aside from those parts the rest of the door panel is in pretty OK shape. . .

all of the 'chrome' has flaked off and now they're just greyish plastic, i was going to pick up some chrome Testors model paint and paint them tommorow - any better methods?

Guest Anonymous

I bought the door panel re-build kits from Dave Varco. The mylar tape to cover the deteriorated chrome was just a bitch to put on and I am not satisfied with its appearance. My fault entirely. If you had a bunch of it to practice with maybe it would be okay on the final install. I now have shinny chrome...with wrinkles

Guest Anonymous

That mylar tape is sold in model shops (usually for model airplanes) in strips that are 4" x 36". They cost ~$4. If you use a heat gun carefully after you apply it, you can remove most of the wrinkles.

I did 1 1/2 doors with one strip. If you are careful and don't make mistakes, you can get both doors from one strip.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)