Voltage Regulator Question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The 72 tii, on the way to Carlisle yesterday, starting registering 10.5 - 11 volts on my VDO volt meter. Replaced the voltage regulator with a spare that I carry(Bosch part number 0192062007-850), that looks different than the one I took off.

It ran fine home, washed it up and started it up today, red volt light is on brightly and the volt meter reads 15-16 volts. I know, shouldn't wash it.....

I guess I do not know how many volts an alternator puts out. Not sure if they put out that many and the voltage regulator knocks it down or if I have something going on in the alternator.

Any idea what it going on? Alternator or voltage regulator?

As always, appreciate the help.

Guest Anonymous

A month or so ago, I had the faintly glowing charging light that was fixed by replacing the VR.

Then I washed down the engine and the light came on brightly, but that time it went out after I drove it for a while. I figured the alternator had just gotten a little too wet and didn't think anything more about it. But on my way to Carlisle, the light came on bright again and I had to replace the VR once more.

Something funky's going on here. Either Bosch alternator rebuilds are lousy, the VR's are defective more often that good, or we have little gremlins haunting our engines.

Matthew Cervi

'73 tii

Guest Anonymous

I had that same problem when I put a NAPA vr in a Volvo I

had. Boiled the battery-not good. Replaced it with the proper

Volvo vr and good to go. I try to use oem whenever I can

unless there is a clearly superior aftermarket upgrade. I

would go for the Bosch/yellow tape vr. It'll probably solve the

problem.

Guest Anonymous

...I can pick em out and bring them all out to your place if you want a handful to try.

Good to see you and the crew @ Carlisle. BTW, how much do you owe Fred Cocca??? heh heh

Marty

Guest Anonymous

I think it is some secret color combination thing that will cause all your electrics to run PROPERLY.

Yellow tape on Vreg, Red coil, Blue brake fluid, Pink antifreeze, and plenty of Green in the wallet!

I think a lot of the newer Vregs have green tape(as does mine). The ones I repaired in the past all had Black tape (when I was done).