Coolant questions for a lynx sidedraft set up...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok I have my coolant rerouting pipe that came with my 320 water neck. The coolant pipe goes from the driverside of the water pump back to the heater hose, under the new lynx manifold. The coolant pipe is a metal pipe with one mounting braket, and came with some weird brass threaded fittings I cant seem to figure out (especially cause the metal pipe has no threads). Since the metal pipe is much smaller diameter then the coolant hosing that goes in/comes out, I went to autozone and got some cheap plastic reducer fittings and some tubing. Since the reducers are hard plastic with male ends, I bought some flexable hosing to make a joint between it and the metal pipe. I'm running out of space fast, because the metal pipe is almost up to the water pump as it is, so I might have to cut some of the metal piping out???

What are the commen methodes of making an inline reducer like this?

Also, about half way down the metal pipe there is a fitting for a very small (fuel line size) hose to go on, I'm guessing to take coolant somewhere else. Where does this hook up? Or if it doesnt, how can I cap it off?

Guest Anonymous

These are available in many different kinds and shapes of reduction fittings, which can be used for matching different sizes of automotive coolant hose. Quite inexpensive, too.

As to the extra fuel line size fitting, I dunno what it was originally for, but just put a short piece of hose on it, stick a bolt in the end and clamp it off.

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Guest Anonymous

pipe.jpg

A simple way to route the coolant from the water pump to the heater core is to just get 1" copper pipe and you are all set. You can use the 320i pipe but you need to either bend off that little nipple fitting or weld it closed, etc. Another thing with the 320 pipe is that you need to go to BMW dealer and get the special 320 hose that connects the water pump to the pipe (this factory hose reduces the opening on the pipe side of the hose as the water pump side is larger).

I did not want to mess with getting the special BMW hose and then having to modify the 320 pipe (blocking off that fitting coming off from it) so I just made a pipe directly from the water pump to the heater core. I forget who posted this idea (and took this picture) as it works great and I am happy with it. -John