• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

70 M2 build

kris

(Oops!) My error for misplaced chiding.

Returning you to your regularly scheduled programming!

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

8 hours ago, kris said:

Here's a shot of the center console.  The Becker lights up but isn't part of the audio system.  There is an IR eye in the back of the console which triggers the controls for the head unit in the trunk.  The toggle is for the exhaust cutout, modes are loud and really loud.

center console.jpg

Cool idea on the fake head unit.  I pulled an identical Becker Europa II from the tii.

Did you get the car to Salt Lake City to have the guys from "Bitchin Rides" do the exhaust cutout?

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

5 minutes ago, kris said:

Hah cutout is probably inaccurate. It’s more of a bypass of an additional resonator.
But if I’m ever in Salt Lake I’ll have them pimp my ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Kindig is my kind of guy.  He started out wrenching on air cooled VW's. 

Jim Gerock

• 1 year later...

The car is up and running, as is the driver. I had a heath challenge last year which kept me from the Vintage. I’ll be down this year and the car will be at Blunt’s booth and full of beer...not really on the beer but it will be at Blunt’s booth. I’m really happy with the drive- as much as it’s a beast with the S14 it’s more comfortable than my tii was as I stayed away from all the hard bushings. I like ripping on it when I’m alone and my wife enjoys cruising so I think we hit the mark. The Vintage will be the longest drive - looking forward to testing it out on a long trip. Biggest issue I see right now is the 1:1 final drive on the CR box and the rear end means about 4K at 65 mph. It creates a good excuse for back roads driving. IMG_3280.thumb.jpg.e751f82b7e575696d9dce6f9adc0e243.jpgIMG_3287.thumb.jpg.4e28a0302ba5413f44708e5202af54f8.jpgIMG_3277.thumb.jpg.eab894f97555812f555c071b839b0020.jpgIMG_3276.thumb.jpg.677c56a74690f6cfd88de2531bbd434c.jpg

• Like 3

70 M2 2.5L 

3 minutes ago, kris said:

The car is up and running, as is the driver. I had a heath challenge last year which kept me from the Vintage. I’ll be down this year and the car will be at Blunt’s booth and full of beer...not really on the beer but it will be at Blunt’s booth. I’m really happy with the drive- as much as it’s a beast with the S14 it’s more comfortable than my tii was as I stayed away from all the hard bushings. I like ripping on it when I’m alone and my wife enjoys cruising so I think we hit the mark. The Vintage will be the longest drive - looking for learn to testing it out on a long trip. Biggest issue I see right now is the 1:1 final drive on the CR box and the rear end means about 4K at 65 mph. It creates a good excuse for back roads driving. IMG_3280.jpgIMG_3287.jpgIMG_3277.jpgIMG_3276.jpg

See you there! I'll be in my 69 this time.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Very pretty and discreet build.  I am new on this site, but have owned a couple of 2002s and am thinking of doing an S14 conversion.  I know many have been done, but my net reading to date suggests that there's no manual yet.  So I'm interested to know about the different approaches that have emerged through the efforts of so many, especially those affecting overall front/rear weight balancing and engine height.  For instance, I know that the S14 will sit on the existing motor mount brackets without much trouble, but also that some have fashioned their own motor mounts and frame mods to get the motor lower and further back against the firewall; any consensus out there on what yields the best balance and handling? 

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Dave Varco has written a manual. Not certain if it's still available. You might contact him.

https://www.2002parts.com/m2-s14-engine-swap-kit.html

I don't know that the effect on balance is that pronounced, especially with a lighter/relocated battery. 

Getting the motor a inch or so farther aft of the radiator is certainly a good thing though.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Very pretty and discreet build.  I am new on this site, but have owned a couple of 2002s and am thinking of doing an S14 conversion.  I know many have been done, but my net reading to date suggests that there's no manual yet.  So I'm interested to know about the different approaches that have emerged through the efforts of so many, especially those affecting overall front/rear weight balancing and engine height.  For instance, I know that the S14 will sit on the existing motor mount brackets without much trouble, but also that some have fashioned their own motor mounts and frame mods to get the motor lower and further back against the firewall; any consensus out there on what yields the best balance and handling? 

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

• 7 months later...

Nice work kris.

Love your attention to detail thanks for sharing.

I went the turbo 13b route and understand the dedication it takes to finish with a really good driver.

Our interiors and front seats are very similar but in the rear I used a black leather e 30 seat notched around my cage.

Love yours, Gary

• Like 1

• 9 months later...