• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Registration - US Federal Certification Label?

gtbarker1

I recently moved to California and am trying to register my 1973 Inka 2002a. When they did the vehicle verification, they can't find the US federal certification label (the guy thinks it was painted over on the driver side door. He wanted to sandpaper or use paint thinner to take the paint off. Before we do that, I wanted to check w/ the forum to see if anyone knows if that is fact the right location or if others have overcome this issue.

Thanks!

73 Inka 2002a

If the front passenger fender has not been replaced it should also be stamped there, on the top near the hood hold down bar.

It will also be on the top rear of the engine block, but again, that's if it has not been switched out.

I just looked at my silver sticker on the door. It's all clean and nice, but you'd have to be a better man than me, Gunga Din, to read the dot matrix. If I didn't know what they're supposed to read I'd be lost.

Bob Napier

And possibly the door was replaced sometime in the 38 years?

I haven't heard of looking for a federal tag on a 2002. Then again, I have never imported a car.

The door sticker is the perforated silver tag that has the VIN. Could be painted over, gone, door replaced. There may also be a large tag in the cowl area, on the passenger side.

If they are trying to verify VIN, it is stamped on the right side rail above the front fender. It is also on the VIN tag that is pop riveted on the right side rail near the stamped number. The VIN also appears on the top of the steering column, but this is easily removed/replaced. The VIN may also be on the engine block if that has not been replaced.

No smog check required for 1975 or older in California.

What DMV office are you using?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I think DMV is looking for the door decal to confirm the

Model Year that this car conforms to

decal like this example - from another car

41.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Yes, that is it I think! Thank you very much! I think it was painted over and the CA DMV says if they can't see it, I need to get a california highway patrol (CHP) officer to do some other type of verification! What a pain! Is that label on the driver side door? I think I see a lump on the door that was painted over that I'm reluctant to strip the pain off...

73 Inka 2002a

Yep. That's on the drivers door. Many of them are difficult to read as is. Stripping paint off might make it totally illegible.

Poke around at one of the corners. IF you are lucky, maybe they masked off the decal before painting. Maybe it's just painted over masking tape on there.

You can see from c.d.'s example where the punched in data lies on the sticker. You may be able to make out what numbers are under the paint if it's not too thick.

AAA may be worth it. I know when we just went to register our 320i that the DMV wait would have been over 2 hours. 15 minutes at AAA and we were done. Plus you get free maps...and food/hotel discounts.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Get the VIN Verification form from the DMV website, fill it out, have any police officer sign it. They won't care about the federal sticker on the door. They just want to confirm vin.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

aren't cars over 25 years old exempt from DOT and EPA certification?...

He needs the VIN stamped somewhere on the car for VIN Verification, has nothing to do with smog.

The DMV needs to verify the VIN number on any vehicle that is newly registered in the state, so you have to take it down to a DMV office, wait in line with your car and they will do it at no charge.

Check the passenger side fender under the hood, should be visible (if it is still the original one as another FAQer stated)

Cheers

76 BMW 2002 Arktisblau M42 5 spd - Born 5.21.76 - daily money pit

06 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6 spd - garage queen *  73 Mustang Convertible 351C 

15 VW Touareg V6 Executive - daily driver * 23 Audi e-tron SUV (wife's)

sig_banner.jpg.5aeae468aebf7c560d52fe62d249efbd.jpg

Absolutely join AAA and get it knocked out in a minute. I did that with a 951 I had bought out of state with serious engine mods and a vin that seemed a little off and I just chatted nicely with the lady about other life things and we wrapped it up in a few minutes. Worth it.