Where could I buy a mercury/ball-bearing switch?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm trying to add a trunk light to my '02 with a mercury switch on the lid to turn it on. I know they're probably illegal now for environmental reasons and have been replaced by ball-bearing switches, but for the life of me I can't find out where to buy one of those. Radio Shack doesn't list 'em, nor do a couple of online/catalog suppliers I've tried. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Dave

Colorado '71

Guest Anonymous

Wouldn't a mercury switch be less than ideal because of vibrations from driving? Would flickering lights cause problems? I am not a electronics knowledgeable person, I bet there is a simple time delay circuit that could be employed, maybe you are and have already thought of this ;)

David - Who wonders if a light switch is activated with the trunk closed and nobody is in there, does it make light?

Guest Anonymous

...simple and effective. It may blink on during driving (though only if I slam on the brakes, I'd think), but as long as the engine's running, I'm not worried about the current draw. Unless I park nose-down on the Washington Monument, it shouldn't come on otherwise if I mount it properly.

-Dave

Guest Anonymous

had a underhood light that used single filament turn signal bulb in a curved metal housing. They have a sliding contact in a plastic connector on the metal housing, so the the bulb turns on when the hood is opented. Grounds through the mounting bolts, so installion is one power wire. Metal housing could be painted to match the body.

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.lovingeveryminuteofit.com

Our Sunbird was having a battery problem, we took it to Sears and they said everything was fine with the charging system, just that we had a slow voltage leak.

So me knowing a bit about electronic decided I wasn't going to pay a couple hundred for them to find it and did it my self. Checked all over for the obvious. Found nothing. Finally opened the trunk and noticed the light came on really quick. Took our video camera, stuck it in there and closed the trunk, waited a minute, took it out and hooked it up to the TV. Sure enough, the light was staying on. Went out, adjusted the switch and problem was fixed. Apparently when we were getting stuff out or putting things in the trunk we had bumped the switch and moved to a position were it would stay on.