M20 tranny question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am finally starting to gather parts for an M20 swap and have a couple questions at the moment. Why does everyone use the e21 323 tranny over the e30 325 tranny? Is it only because the 323 is mechanical and the 325 is electric? What are the ups and downs of each choice? You can use either can't you? What is the deal with the shifter linkage also? Does it line up or does it need to be cut? Thanks for all you help and I hope to be tearin up the track with this by the end of summer. You guys rule!

Curtis

Guest Anonymous

I am starting the same conversion. I have a 323i tranny and I decided to go with it because of size.

Both 323i and 325i trannys have the same "bolt pattern" as they were designed for the M20. The differences between them are not minimal.

From what I've been told, the words --Massaging with a hammer, or recontouring -- have been used to describe fitment of the 323 tranny (if youve done a 5 speed conversion you know this routine) the metal bends quickly under a swiftly swung hammer... I havn't fit the 323 tranny yet but I'm not worried about this process.

The 325i transmission is much larger and requires sectioning of the tunnel to allow fitment. This may or may not be true of an automatic shell (not sure).

I did not want to touch that process... not even on somebody else's car.

Then... there's the speedo issue. which was another bee's nest that I didn't want to climb into.

Linkage, driveshaft, and shift platform will all have to be modified to fit the car (shortened really) IMHO not really a big deal when you look at the big picture and the HUGE power increase.

Hope this helps... watch for pics of my project later this spring

Bill

Guest Anonymous

I think the answer is fitment besides the mech/electric switch of the e21 vs. the e30. I just got a cr tranny out of an e21(m20) that will go into my neverending m20 project. I will measure 'body' thickness to compare and post numbers.