sound deadening material removal

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone have a "good" method of scraping that sticky, messy material found underneath the carpet? Trying to get rid of this stuff to thoroughly clean the floor pans etc. to stop rust!!

Thanks in advance

d

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.my2002tii.com/june_2002.htm

...there are many posts on this topic.

One really good link is my2002tii.com, the June '02 section (link above). It has pictures and instructions.

Dry ice seems to be the best method. I got some from the seafood counter at a local grocery store (you may have to call around to a few different stores). You can also get it from a local Praxair shop, or even order it online (I think from Praxair.com).

It comes in blocks (sheets, really), which you can use on the flat sections. Then break up the ice and use it on the contoured areas. My advice is to leave the ice on the floor for a long time (at least 1/2 an hour), and then really whack away with a mallet or hammer. The longer you let the ice sit and the more whacking you do, the less scraping and prying you'll have to do (IMHO).

HTH. Read some of the other threads about this on the board to get well-rounded information.

--Damon

'72 tii (w/o sound deadening material)

Guest Anonymous

I looked up ice dist in the yellow pgs. Great stuff for the residue is the 3M tar and adhesive remover. Get 3 or 4 cans. Makes short work of it (of the tar and a few million brain cells too)

Guest Anonymous

I recently had to remove the stuff to fix rust on the floor pan. I considered the dry ice method and was ready to do it.

I had a bottle of this citrus based cleaner called "De-Solv-It" and decided to try it. I sprayed it on the sound deadening material and it melted it in about a minute. I then cleaned it up with a paper towel.

The stuff costs about four dollars for a twelve ounce bottle. It should be enough to do two cars.

Guest Anonymous

brrrrrrrrrrrr, it goes clunk, clunk, clunk. If you're careful you can chisel the stuff right off without gouging the metal or even damaging the paint. Turn the air down real low, though.

Cheers

Mike