UPDATE on 5-speed conversion (final update!)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Ya'll,

Took me long enough eh? LOL (remember: perfection takes time!) Anyway, the 5 speed is in!! A little tweaking here and there and it works like a charm.

I forgot how nice it is/was to easily put the car in second gear (downshifting), without crunching synchros!

I also installed a 3:90 diff (from a 76 2002, so no mods needed) (THANKS AGAIN SAM, U ROCK BRO!!!)

Its also VERY nice to know what gear I am in now!! (I install ALL new shifter bushings and mounts) Damn near like a new car again.

BUT!, what I like most is being able to do 6 foot burnouts and churp 2nd gear in the process!! (take that Kris, :P).

Also, for those thinking of getting a pertronix unit, DO IT ASAP, makes one hell of a difference in how the car starts and idles!! SMOOTH AS A BABIES BUTT!!

All I have to do now is get the interior of the car back in order, easy enough eh?

Last but no where near the least, THANKS A MILLION AND THEN SOME TO MARSMANN!! without you none of this would have been possible.

I'll keep all of you updated with what is going on, 292 cam is next to be installed!!!

Oh, and if anyone needs any kind of advice or support while installing a 5-speed, PLEASE dont hesitate to ask!!

Thanks a million again to all who helped and gave me support!! Tom, Rob S., Bob, Sam, Marsmann, Kris, and whomever helped!!

Lyle in 5 speed, burnout, churping 2nd gear bliss.......

Guest Anonymous

I'd like to dedicate this week and next week to 5 Speed Week in the chat room!!

Got a question? Bring it on!!

Lyle

Guest Anonymous

No, I didnt use a conversion kit, but, I did get the driveshaft already shortened when I bought the trans.

I used a 320 transmission brace, works great.

Lyle