What is "speed shifting"? pardon my racing ignoran

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

1. Changing gears without lifting your foot from the accelerator

2. Changing gears without using the clutch (on a stick, of course) by matching engine and tranny speeds until the gears just mesh without grinding.

Neither are conducive to long clutch or transmission life...

Cheers

Mike

Guest Anonymous

off the throttle and jaming the selector into the next gear (no clutch). Really hard on syncros and the tranny in general.

John N

Guest Anonymous

1: with a transmission with straight cut gears and no syncros you can match rpm's and "snick" the lever into the next gear. or double clutch. examples of vehicles with this type of tranny, any manual tracktor trailor or most non syncro old cars aka Porsche 550 A spyder. In cars with syncronized trannies, shifting without using the clutch. I usually drive this way but I put no pressure on the shifter when I do it just slides into the next gear at the right rpm. I have not seen any additional wear from it but I am most certainly not "jamming" it into the next gear.

Guest Anonymous

and my dad was pretty proficent at shifting without the clutch on his lt1 vette.. but yes it was not setup for it