• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

74 Bumper Conversion... How Much Will it Cost Me? (San Jose)

VonTrapp

Howdy,

First off - this forum is quite friendly. After having different import/classic cars over the years and being a part of a forum, this one seems quite courteous. Thanks for having a-lot of info and not flaming "newbs." With that in mind....

I'm looking at purchasing a 74 Tii, but the bumpers are almost a deal breaker. I get the history/why they are there... but the chrome of 73' and prior just does it for me. And anything that involves drilling the body/body work/welding scares the heck out of me/is beyond my current skill level. Reading directions, problem solving, and bolt-on, I'm fine. With that in mind...

1. How much would it cost to have a shop do this kind of conversion?

2. How much would it cost me to pay one of you guys to assist/help me with this conversion? I'm guessing following Eurotrash's conversion post is the simplest "shade-tree" way of doing it: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,0/page,viewtopic/t,338929/start,0/postdays,0/postorder,asc/highlight,/sid,44eeeed909e977114537efc7c5519553/

I'm in San Jose, CA... and if anyone is serious about #2, just let me know via here or email. Any feedback/input is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

75' 2002 with an M42.

Actually, I'd almost kill for a shade tree on that garage.

I did the rear as anyone would, less paint.

Yeah, the front isn't "euro" spec, but it lines up with the knee trim nicely on the side view..

The bumpers will run you 200+ a set used. Maybe with front brackets too..The 1972 rear brackets are 17 and change a side new(51125470060). Front brackets may be NLA..? (realOEM)

20 bucks in touch up paint from paint scratch.com

Assorted tools. 90 degree drill adapter, hole saw or reamer for the access in the trunk. 50 bucks.

Miscellaneous expenses another 50 for budget purposes..

I would probably estimate, if you handed me the keys and parts, probably about 8 - 10 hours, no snags.

That's a detail oriented installation. Cleaning the paint under the old bumper parts, masking all sharp edges during test fit, cleaning and painting what needed it, etc.

Just order the proper end bolts for the bumpers. That's key.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

parts cost ?

$150 for bumpers in need of rechroming

$300 for ready to be proud of bumpers

(that's $300 for front and $300 for rear used! )

many of the bumpers pieces are available NEW BMW dealer

if building completly new pieces? about $699 per bumper

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

In my opinion, to do it "right", you need to factor in body work, welding, and paint as well. When I did my car, we ended up respraying the complete lower half of the car ( the P.O. Had just painted the car ). Not a fan of the large gaping holes you'll have if you don't weld, it really depends on what your expectations are...

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

In my opinion, to do it "right", you need to factor in body work, welding, and paint as well. When I did my car, we ended up respraying the complete lower half of the car ( the P.O. Had just painted the car ). Not a fan of the large gaping holes you'll have if you don't weld, it really depends on what your expectations are...

What big gaping holes?

IMG_9265.jpg

68685ec8.jpg

5f2c9a09.jpg

da8e3d1c-1.jpg

(O=o00o=O)

What big gaping holes?

Really? Hey whatever works for you.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

What big gaping holes?

Really? Hey whatever works for you.

ScreenShot2011-08-23at20221PM.png

I'm still not following you. --Nor your tone.. Maybe you can explain both of those for us.

My car is a rolling project that I work on with my own two hands, because I enjoy doing so.. With out guys like me, here, you wouldn't have guys like - me, there, to whom, I assume, you cut checks to. So maybe "work" on not being so thankless and trite, sire.

(Check my punctuation, but I think that's spot on.)

As for the rest of you, you know how I feel.

Screenshot2011-01-01at115942AM.png

(O=o00o=O)

Pardon me, but I was offering " my opinion" in response to the original post. That is the what this forum is for, right? You can still see " gaping holes" where the bumper shocks were, and the various screw holes, sure not easy to see from your pics, but from other angles they are visible. If you are cool with that, great, good for you. Nothing wrong with doing it that way. Myself, and I'm sure others, would prefer them welded closed and painted. Everyone here has their own opinion on what is right for their car, nothing wrong with that. So perhaps you should un-wad your panties, and move on...

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

I converted my 74 tii from diving board bumpers to early 02 bumpers when my tii was repainted. At the same time, I had the side marker lights removed as well.

Look at pic #10 to see the big holes from the bumper shocks that must be welded shut.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/bimmerfan02/Gordon/tii/

For more info, check out Keith Kreeger's guide on how to properly convert your big bumper 02 to Euro bumpers.

http://www.my2002tii.com/sept_2002.htm Keith's guide clearly shows the big holes and other holes that must be filled in as well.

I personally like square tail light 02's with a Euro bumper conversion better than roundies but that's my personal opinion.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah... Nothing wrong with doing it that way. Myself, and I'm sure others, would prefer them welded closed and painted. Everyone here has their own opinion on what is right for their car, nothing wrong with that. So perhaps you should un-wad your panties, and move on...

Project finishes with paint. Which is when those capped off, yet gaping 3mm holes will be remedied.

No wad here man, no undies either, for that matter. ;) My spirit is akin to the timeless toothy grin on Ponch's face.

(O=o00o=O)

I'll help you out with it. No need to worry about welding and such since it's a pretty easy swap.

I'll shoot you an email and we can see when you pick up the tii.

Finding good early/Euro bumpers is the hardest part ;)

THANK YOU! I look forward to the email, and I'll start the search for bumpers now.

75' 2002 with an M42.

parts cost ?

$150 for bumpers in need of rechroming

$300 for ready to be proud of bumpers

(that's $300 for front and $300 for rear used! )

many of the bumpers pieces are available NEW BMW dealer

if building completly new pieces? about $699 per bumper

if you choose to buy new bumpers from BMW i recommend having them rechromed. yes, rechrome the new bumpers. they WILL RUST, before you know it. cheap-ass thin chrome on those BMW factory teile.