when media blasting my air canister in prep. for powder-coat

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

the situation is, my brother (who is in highschool) has access to some tools and machines that i do not. In order to save some money i want to give him my stock tii air canister and have him mediablast it and prepare it for powder-coating, how should he go about blasting it (what kind of settings, what kind of media, etc)? i have _no_ experience with metal working and i'd rather not have him damage it. . .

TIA

Guest Anonymous

tii-airbox.jpg

URL: http://www.my2002tii.com

That you want...

Media blasting is used more for stripping large scale surfaces like doors and hoods to remove only the paint but not the rust.

The bead blaster is used to strip the surface of the paint and etch the surface so the new material will stick. It removes the rust completely when done right.

The media blasting takes a lot more air pressure than I suspect a High School shop class has. The bead blasting is used to clean up most small items.

I bead blasted my air box once. It took about 2-3 hours to do it right on a small booth, just to set your expecations of a good job.

Good luck!

Keith

'74tii - Stella

http://www.my2002tii.com

Guest Anonymous

Ask me how I know. Took it to a shop to have it blasted and came back pitted. :) Good thing I have 3 more:)

I now do everything myself at a self-blasting shop. everything from sand and glass to copper slag plastic and even walnut.

Guest Anonymous

wish there was a place like that around here. A Help Yourself Machine Shop would be good, and...

Pretty cool concept. How do they make their money?

Guest Anonymous

They are actually an industrial compressor shop so this is just gravy for them. Great place. I know of a guy from winnipeg (not canada matt) who trailered a 911 all the way to calgary so he could soda blast the 911 shell.

You dont know the meaning of patience till youve soda blasted.