pertronix problems...need help (long)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

....probably the installer but here goes. I installed the Pertronix on my Tii distributor-(correct # pertronix) tonight. Seemed to go well. All parts fit anyway. However, there is the old Ballast resistor thing that I'm not too sure about. I disconnected the wires going to the points from the harness to the side of the distributer where the condensor is mounted. After installing all the stuff according to the directions I hooked the black wire up to the negative side of the coil. BUT, to do that I had to disconnect the wire that was already there. I assume it simply goes from the negative side of the coil to the "two' wires that went to the side of the distributer-the ones I disconnected in the first place. I'm also assuming that the second wire that was at the condensor location proceeds on to the tach because it now doesn't work as the wires are not hooked up. I hooked the red wire up to the positive side of the coil because I read in archives that the black coil doesn't need the ballast resistor. I started the car-fired off right away. I let it warm up some and decided to really screw things up by playing with the timing. I marked the relative location of the distributor and moved slightly in the clockwise direction just to see what would happen. Idle fell of some and a big loss of power when reving. I went ccw past my original mark and the car ran like crap then too. So, I decided to put it back at the mark. I went for a ride-runs like crap. Stumbles badly as if the plug wires were shorting or wet. It sounds kind of like an old Volkswagon and goes slower. I double checked the marks I made on the distributer and I seem to be lined up. I took the distributor cap and rotor off to see if anything was amiss but that seems ok too. At that point I saw a sticker on the coil stating that it requires a 1.8 ohm ballast resistor. I disconnected the red wire from the coil and hooked it up to what I think is the ballast resistor on the side away from the coil so it goes coil-resistor-pertronix. Still runs like crap. So what gives? did I screw things up by playing with the timing even though I put it back to the marks. Did I screw something up by going directly to the positive lead on the coil instead of the ballast resistor? Anything else. TIA

Guest Anonymous

mvc_619f.thumb.jpg

but on a regular 02. The only difference I can tell from your description of the installation is that according to my directions, you MUST install the black wire to the ballast resistor. Fortunately, on my coil were additional posts which I removed and placed a dual post on the resistor which I then replaced the wire that was there and also the black wire from the pertronix. Mine worked great. Adjusted the timing by ear so it idled ok. It runs great. Hope this helps.

Guest Anonymous

I will look at my set up today. Did you add anything else? Or just the Petronix. If you have a ballast resistor, I presume you have a red coil, and I I am pretty sure it must be included on the loop. Return timing back to original settings , if possible. When I went Petronix/ MSD6a, I did not need to fiddle with timing at all. ///